Daniel 7, war against the saints, and the Millennial Kingdom
Vs. 21-23,25 the war against the saints
• These are the people of God living on earth during the tribulation period.
• God permits the antichrist to rise to power and rule the world, and even allows him to make war on the saints and temporarily win the victory.
• V. 18, 22, 27 the saints will not see victory until Christ returns, “the Ancient of Days.”
Vs. 9-14, 27-28: The Kingdom of Christ
• Daniel has seen the rise and fall of five kingdoms - Babylonians, Medes and Persians, Greek, Roman, and the kingdom of Satan.
• The most important kingdom of all is the kingdom that Christ will establish on earth, to the glory of God.
• This is what Christians ask for each time they pray “Thy kingdom come”, and each time we pray for peace.
Two aspects of the kingdom:
1. The kingdom of God, the spiritual reign of Christ over all who belong to Him.
John 3:3 (NKJV) 3Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
Colossians 1:13 (NKJV) 13He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love,
2. The glorious kingdom on earth, prepared for God’s people:
Matthew 25:34 (NKJV) 34Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Matthew 26:29 (NKJV) 29But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.”
Luke 22:29 (NKJV) 29And I bestow upon you a kingdom, just as My Father bestowed one upon Me,
Vs. 9-12 The heavenly throne of the Father
• This throne is put in place before the kingdom of the antichrist is destroyed, notice the references to judgment which follow the placing of the throne.
• This probably parallels the events in revelation 4-5, where John describes the throne room of God.
• This parallels visions in Ezekiel 1:15-21, 26-27.
• Our God is a consuming fire.
Deuteronomy 4:24 (NKJV) 24For the Lord your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.
Hebrews 12:29 - 13:1 (NKJV) 29For our God is a consuming fire. 1Let brotherly love continue.
Psalms 97:1 - 4 (NKJV) 1 The Lord reigns; Let the earth rejoice; Let the multitude of isles be glad! 2 Clouds and darkness surround Him; Righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. 3 A fire goes before Him, And burns up His enemies round about. 4 His lightnings light the world; The earth sees and trembles.
• No matter what Satan and the Antichrist do on earth, God is still on the throne and executes judgment.
Vs. 13-14,27 The earthly throne of the Son of God
• The term “Son of Man” is used 82 times in the Gospels, frequently by Jesus, Himself. It is used also in Rev. 1:13
• The Son of Man is presented before the throne of the Father (13,14), and given an everlasting dominion over all nations.
• This is the prelude to the stone being cut out of the mountains, and coming down to destroy the kingdoms of the world. It parallels Rev.5:1-7
• The Father made a promises to the Son:
Psalms 2:8 (NKJV) 8 Ask of Me, and I will give You The nations for Your inheritance, And the ends of the earth for Your possession.
• Unlike the other kingdoms, the kingdom of Christ can never be removed or destroyed.
• This is the kingdom the God had in mind when He told David that his throne would never end (2 Sam. 7:13,16).
• He will share this kingdom with His people (v. 27)
• They will rule with Him
Revelation 5:9 - 10 (NKJV) 9And they sang a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll, And to open its seals; For You were slain, And have redeemed us to God by Your blood Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, 10 And have made us kings£ and priests to our God; And £we shall reign on the earth.”
Revelation 20:4 (NKJV) 4And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for £a thousand years.
• Nature will be released from the bondage of sin and decay, the Earth will be restored to its pre-sin condition.
Romans 8:18 - 25 (NKJV) 18For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. 23Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body. 24For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? 25But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.
Isaiah 11:1 - 9 (NKJV) 1 There shall come forth a Rod from the stem of Jesse, And a Branch shall grow out of his roots. 2 The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him, The Spirit of wisdom and understanding, The Spirit of counsel and might, The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord. 3 His delight is in the fear of the Lord, And He shall not judge by the sight of His eyes, Nor decide by the hearing of His ears; 4 But with righteousness He shall judge the poor, And decide with equity for the meek of the earth; He shall strike the earth with the rod of His mouth, And with the breath of His lips He shall slay the wicked. 5 Righteousness shall be the belt of His loins, And faithfulness the belt of His waist. 6 “The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, The leopard shall lie down with the young goat, The calf and the young lion and the fatling together; And a little child shall lead them. 7 The cow and the bear shall graze; Their young ones shall lie down together; And the lion shall eat straw like the ox. 8 The nursing child shall play by the cobra’s hole, And the weaned child shall put his hand in the viper’s den. 9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain, For the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord As the waters cover the sea.
Isaiah 35:1 - 36:1 (NKJV) 1 The wilderness and the wasteland shall be glad for them, And the desert shall rejoice and blossom as the rose; 2 It shall blossom abundantly and rejoice, Even with joy and singing. The glory of Lebanon shall be given to it, The excellence of Carmel and Sharon. They shall see the glory of the Lord, The excellency of our God. 3 Strengthen the weak hands, And make firm the feeble knees. 4 Say to those who are fearful-hearted, “Be strong, do not fear! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, With the recompense of God; He will come and save you.” 5 Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, And the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped. 6 Then the lame shall leap like a deer, And the tongue of the dumb sing. For waters shall burst forth in the wilderness, And streams in the desert. 7 The parched ground shall become a pool, And the thirsty land springs of water; In the habitation of jackals, where each lay, There shall be grass with reeds and rushes. 8 A highway shall be there, and a road, And it shall be called the Highway of Holiness. The unclean shall not pass over it, But it shall be for others. Whoever walks the road, although a fool, Shall not go astray. 9 No lion shall be there, Nor shall any ravenous beast go up on it; It shall not be found there. But the redeemed shall walk there, 10 And the ransomed of the Lord shall return, And come to Zion with singing, With everlasting joy on their heads. They shall obtain joy and gladness, And sorrow and sighing shall flee away. 1Now it came to pass in the fourteenth year of King Hezekiah that Sennacherib king of Assyria came up against all the fortified cities of Judah and took them.
1. There will be peace in the world
Isaiah 2:1 - 5 (NKJV) 1The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem. 2 Now it shall come to pass in the latter days That the mountain of the Lord’S house Shall be established on the top of the mountains, And shall be exalted above the hills; And all nations shall flow to it. 3 Many people shall come and say, “Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, To the house of the God of Jacob; He will teach us His ways, And we shall walk in His paths.” For out of Zion shall go forth the law, And the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. 4 He shall judge between the nations, And rebuke many people; They shall beat their swords into plowshares, And their spears into pruning hooks; Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, Neither shall they learn war anymore. 5 O house of Jacob, come and let us walk In the light of the Lord.
Isaiah 9:6 - 7 (NKJV) 6 For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice From that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.
• The church today, looks for the savior to return, then we’ll be caught up to meet Him in the air.
1 Thessalonians 4:13 - 18 (NKJV) 13But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. 14For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.15For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18Therefore comfort one another with these words.
• Then we shall return with Him to reign with Him.
• How did Daniel respond to this vision? V.28
• If divine truth doesn’t touch our own hearts an affect our conduct, Then our Bible study is only an intellectual excercise.