Job Chapter 2
2:3-God said the same thing about Job in his pain as He did in his prosperity. Job still had his integrity.
• Fear means fear
• It is used to denote fear in the following verse.
Genesis 32:11 (NKJV) 11Deliver me, I pray, from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau; for I fear him, lest he come and attack me and the mother with the children.
• The phrase fear of God, or fear the Lord or similar phrases are used MANY times in the Bible.
• What about the Bible telling us not to fear?
2 Timothy 1:7 - 8 (NKJV) 7For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 8Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God,
• Who are we to fear?
Matthew 10:28 (NKJV) 28And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
• We should fear the displeasure of God.
• We should fear sinning against God.
• We should fear the chastisement and rebuke of God.
• We should be secure in our salvation.
• We should be secure in God’s love.
• We should be secure in the knowledge that we’ll never have to face the fulness of God’s wrath.
• We should be secure in the knowledge that God will never leave us or forsake us.
• We should; however have a respectful fear of God.
2:4 - Satan said he’s not sinning because you haven’t touched him.
Do you serve God simply for the benefits, for His protection?
2:5- Satan, again challenges God.
2:6- God gives Satan the authority to afflict Job to the pint of death. He did limit the affliction.
2:9- Job’s wife tempts him.
2:10- Job still did not sin.
2:12- Job was in such bad shape, his friends did not recognize him.
2:13- Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing.