*To recognize and avoid the shallow faith of the religionist
*The religionist does not have a genuine faith in God.
V.17 The religionist:
• He professes religion
• He rests in the law (not in Christ).
• He professes God but he does not posses God.
• He knows God’s will and law
• He knows God’s will, but man must accept Christ (this is the beginning of God’s will).
• He is able to discern the good things, he knows right from wrong
• He is taught God’s word (knowing God’s word is not knowing God, or putting His word into practice)
Ephesians 4:20 - 23 (NKJV) 20But you have not so learned Christ, 21if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: 22that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, 23and be renewed in the spirit of your mind,
• He is confident of his own knowledge and influence.
• He is sure that he is a light to the blind, but he is not a true guide, he himself is blind.
John 14:6 (NKJV) 6Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
Matthew 15:14 (NKJV) 14Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch.”
• Religion itself is not the light of the world, Jesus Christ is the light of the world
• He is an instructor of the foolish
1 Corinthians 10:12 (NKJV) 12Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.
Proverbs 28:26 (NKJV) 26 He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, But whoever walks wisely will be delivered.
• He does not live what he professes
• He tells others how to live, but he doesn’t live it himself
• Hypocrisy is one of the terrible sins of religion
Mark 7:6 (NKJV) 6He answered and said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written: ‘This people honors Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me.
Titus 1:16 - 2:1 (NKJV) 16They profess to know God, but in works they deny Him, being abominable, disobedient, and disqualified for every good work. 1But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine:
James 3:10 (NKJV) 10Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so.
Matthew 7:21 (NKJV) 21“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
V.25-27 Ritualism will not bring the favor of God, it takes a changed heart.
V.28-29 A true believer is not just the outward appearance, but in the heart “not by works” Titus 3:5; Ephesians 2:8-9
• The true believer follows Jesus, not religion.
1 John 3:24 (NKJV) 24Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.