V.1: Justified by faith, not works
• Brings peace
• Through Jesus Christ, no other way.
V.2: Access to God (prayer) through Christ, by faith (not works)
• We don’t deserve to be able to go to God in prayer, and we can’t earn the right. It only comes through salvation.
• To be a child of God, standing in His presence, is to be standing in grace.
• The “hope” is a promise, something we can count on, not just wishful thinking.
• We will one day be in the presence of the glory of God.
V.3,4: Glory in tribulations (rejoice)
• Tribulation brings patience James 1:2-6
• Patience brings experience (Character), it builds trust in God and His ability to see you through. This, in turn, builds character.
• Experience brings hope, confidence of the promise of God.
V.5: Hope does not disappoint
• This hope is a sure thing, a promise
• The promise was sealed by the Holy Spirit
2 Corinthians 1:22 (KJV) 22Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.
Ephesians 1:13 (KJV) 13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Ephesians 4:30 (KJV) 30And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.