Lesson from Jude vs. 20-21
Preached in Southbridge on 10/17/04
Jud 1:20 But you, beloved, build yourselves up in your most holy faith; pray in the Holy Spirit; Jud 1:21 keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life.
Main Point: Christ like living
i. To Christians
ii. Wicked men had come into the Church and caused divisions and were acting in wicked ways.
iii. To contend for the Faith. The Faith here is the Death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the good news.
(Read the text: Jude 20-21)
i. Build your self up personally
a. Read and study the word of God.
b. Don’t starve yourself of the spiritual food and drink. Not 5-8 times a month (Sunday, Wednesday, and on ladies day or men’s breakfast). Malnourished.
c. Spend time with other Christians. This leads into the second part of this “build yourselves up”. Build each other up.
ii. Build up each other (Not a selfish taking care of only me but of each other).
a. Not destroy each other
ii. Hateful talk or actions.
b. Encourage each other, comfort.
ii. Not going for days without praying. Someone once told me Prayer is like breathing, we can’t live without it.
1. Rom 12:12-13 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
2. Eph 6:18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.
3. Phil 4:5-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
c. Keep yourselves in the love of God
i. Keep your self in Christ which is God’s love seen in the flesh.
1. John 14:21-24 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." 22 Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, "But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?" 23 Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.
2. John 15:5-13 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8 This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. 9 "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
ii. We have a choice to stay or leave (Walk away)
ii. Pray in the Holy Spirit
iii. Keep yourselves in the love of God