Our past and our present condition
Our past and our present condition
Lesson Text: Ephesians 2:1-10
Preached in Quabbin Valley on 2-8-09
1) Who we were (vs 1-3)
a. Dead in sins
i. We could not save ourselves
ii. Colossians 2:13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh…
iii. Not physical death but spiritual death (Adam and Eve)
b. Following this world
i. 1 John 2:15-17 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world--the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions--is not from the Father but is from the world. 17 And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.
c. Following Satan
d. Sons of disobedience
i. “Sons” in this passage doesn’t refer only to males it includes both male and female. Just like in Genesis we read that God created man in his image male and female he created them. Man in Genesis 1 stands for both male and female.
ii. When someone was called a son or a child of something it was telling us about their character.
1. Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
2. John 12:36 While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light."
3. Mark 3:17 James the son of Zebedee and John the brother of James (to whom he gave the name Boanerges, that is, Sons of Thunder);
4. John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
e. Children of wrath
i. That is the wrath of God was upon us. We lived under condemnation and judgment and the wrath of God.
2) Who we are (vs 4-9)
a. Made alive in Christ
i. Colossians 2:13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,
ii. Galatians 1:3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father,
b. Raised with Christ
i. There will one day be a physical resurrection that we are waiting for. We talked about that last week but we have been raised to life spiritually in Christ at the moment we were immersed by faith into Christ.
1. Colossians 2:11 In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead.
2. Romans 6:4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
3. 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
c. Seated with Christ
i. It doesn’t always feel like we are the victors in life, it doesn’t always seem like we are seated with Christ in the heavenly realms but the fact is that we are.
1. Colossians 3:1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
ii. There are spiritual realities and truths that we may not be able to see but we know they are true.
3) What we are to do (vs 10)
a. We are God’s workmanship
i. He created us in Christ Jesus. Did God save us and make us new creatures in Christ so that we could talk about how wonderful we are? No, Why did he save us? To show his magnificent riches of grace and mercy. All of this was done that we might praise Him the God of all creation. But that’s not the end of it.
b. Created in Christ for Good works that God prepared before hand for us
i. Titus 3:14 And let our people learn to devote themselves to good works, so as to help cases of urgent need, and not be unfruitful.
ii. 1 Timothy 2:9 likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, 10 but with what is proper for women who profess godliness--with good works.
iii. Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,
iv. Matthew 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
v. We were not saved by our works; we do not save ourselves by our good works. Remember we were dead but God made us alive in Christ. We do good works not to be saved but because we are saved. That’s a big difference. We work because God saved us.