V.1: No condemnation for who?
1. To walk according to the Spirit, is to follow Jesus
2. You have to allow yourself to be led by the Holy Spirit.
John 3:18-19 18 "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 "And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
3. This passage does not say no mistakes, no failures, or even no sins.
4. No condemnation does not mean no consequences!
V.2: Jesus is life
1 John 1:2 2 the life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us –
1. Jesus sets us free.
John 8:36 36 "Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.
2. The Law cannot claim you, you are free.
V.3: The law cannot condemn you
1. Before you are saved , the law condemns you, but after you accept Christ you are free.
2. Jesus comes in the “likeness of sinful flesh”
3. He truly came in the flesh (John 1:14), but only in the likeness of sinful flesh.
4. Outwardly, His body was exactly like that of other human bodies.
5. Through His virgin birth, it was kept free from inherited sin, thus it was sinless flesh.
6. Jesus does what the law never could do, he payed the penalty for your sins.
7. The law prescribes the penalty, and Jesus pays it.
V.4: Jesus bestowed his righteousness on us, so that the law might be fulfilled (All of God’s righteous requirements were met by Jesus, and He gave us that righteousness.
1. Again, this is for those who do not walk according to the flesh.
2. You cannot fulfill the requirements of the law on your own. Those who walk according to the flesh, are trying to justify themselves. That is impossible.
V.5: We are governed by the things that we focus on.
Colossians 3:2 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.
V.7: The carnal mind is at war with God. It is impossible for it to obey the law and will of God.
V.8: Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
V.9: With the Holy Spirit living in and empowering Christians, we can live a victorious life that is pleasing to God.
1. “spirit of God” and “Spirit of Christ,” both terms are used in this one verse, they are synonymous.
2. You cannot belong to the family of God unless you have the Holy Spirit.
3. The Holy Spirit is given to you at the moment of salvation. From the moment you are saved, you are never away from God’s presence.
Psalm 139:7-10 7 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? 8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there. 9 If I take the wings of the morning, And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, 10 Even there Your hand shall lead me, And Your right hand shall hold me.
V.10: This refers to a bodily death.
1. Because of sin, the body will die, but we still have eternal life.
2. The Holy Spirit brings Jesus’ own righteousness to us.
V.11: Just as the Holy Spirit gave life to Christ, He will to us.
1. He gives us eternal life spiritually, but this is also a promise of the future resurrection of our physical bodies.
1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.