“Why are You Doing This?”
Mark 11:1-11 (1572)
As they approached Jerusalem and came to Bethphage and Bethany at the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two of his disciples, 2 saying to them, “Go to the village ahead of you, and just as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here. 3 If anyone asks you, ‘Why are you doing this?’ tell him, ‘The Lord needs it and will send it back here shortly.’ ”
4 They went and found a colt outside in the street, tied at a doorway. As they untied it, 5 some people standing there asked, “What are you doing, untying that colt?” 6 They answered as Jesus had told them to, and the people let them go. 7 When they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks over it, he sat on it. 8 Many people spread their cloaks on the road, while others spread branches they had cut in the fields. 9 Those who went ahead and those who followed shouted,
“Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!”
10 “Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David!”
“Hosanna in the highest!”
11 Jesus entered Jerusalem and went to the temple. He looked around at everything, but since it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the Twelve.
Introduction – Tulip Festival (parade)
- We are between parades now
Vs 1 – Jesus sees His parade route
- Not just a route but a beautiful view of the city (2600’ elev.)
- the city looked great from the surface
- A great place for a parade entrance
- Why a parade route
- We see this at the end of Vs 1 & beginning of Vs 2
Jesus sets up the procession
- Walking on the path was for Pilgrims
- Which normally would have been Jesus’ way...
- ...but this time He wants to ride
- He wants to create a scene
- He commands – Go untie & bring (imperative)
- He is serious, but in a different way
- Go & Bring – would you have to say untie... (luo) loose; bound – Why?
- Does this have to do with being set free
- Colt never ridden – sign of royalty
- This was culture – Summer celebration = Parades
Vs 4-6 – Again we see what Jesus says fulfilled
- Was this a sign of His divinity
- Did he know the owners and had this set up
Vs 7-10 – We see how quickly culture jumps in
- Cloths are thrown on the colt and the ground
- Branches as well
- Immediately – you do this... then this happens
- They also knew naturally what to say
- Ps 118:25-26 - O Lord, save us;
O Lord, grant us success. 26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. From the house of the Lord we bless you.
- Hosanna – Save us
- They were looking for a physical king
- Destroyer not a Savior
Then we see the Triumphal Ending
- Or at least we see the ending
- Where should this climax in this culture
- Jerusalem = Temple
- Tulip Festival – Parade – Main St.
- Vs 11 – Jesus goes to the temple but...
- ... he received no priestly welcome
- Jerusalem was not as excited as His followers
- The temple was empty – building but nothing going on
- The party was over
- He looked around – Gk. (a quick look) you just know...
- Long gap in a parade at the end
- If that was you... what would happen
- I know what Bren would ask me
Why are you doing this?
- Vs 3 – Jesus predicts the same question
- Where would Jesus ask our culture
- When this happens... then this happens
- Married = Children
- Children = Baptism
- Baptism = Education
- Education = Profession of Faith
- Profession of Faith = Communion
- Communion = Marriage...
- Jesus showed up here today
- Beautiful temple
- We look good from the surface
Where would He say...?
- Why are you doing this?
Baptism – Why infant
- Sacrament – sacrametum – mystery (God acts)
- Means of grace – graces presupposes faith
- Covenant Theology – God has promised to be God
Communion – EEEEEUUUPPPP.... to our children...
- Why are you doing this...?
- Little girl on Oprah
- So how did this happen
- Early Church-3rd century (inseparable)
- Bishop power – church grew (no bishop- no communion)
- Transubstantiation – kids are messy
- Later Middle ages – cup was withheld from laity
- Confession became important
- Confirmation needed theology – the need to bear witness to faith (children did not need communion until they could do this)
What are you going to do with this?
- Going to stay stuck in tradition
- Living Water...
Apostle Paul says… “You are the temple”
1 Cor 3:16 - Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you?
- Jesus has just done the Triumphal Entry
- We are now between parades
- Christ is looking around the temple (you)
- Does He see the Spirit living in you or a shining surface