Prayer – Tongues (a different language)
1 Corinthians 14
- How do you feel about tongues - speaking
- Amazing Race
- Dumped into another country
- Croc – I felt this way at times
- English language
- International Prayer
What are tongues?
- I am no expert at all
- There definitely is a mystery to this
- What are your thoughts – groups
What comes to mind with tongues?
- Acts 2 – tongues of fire
- 1 Co 12:10 – gifts of One Spirit
- Mk 16:17 – Great commission (full gospel)
What should we know about tongues?
- Verses in context – things were out of hand...
- Vs 5a – Paul wanted all to speak
- I would like every one of you to speak in tongues
- He saw value in tongues
- I had to ask myself why not me...
What I have learned...
- Spiritual gift from God – 12:10 to another speaking in different kinds of tongues
- Spiritual gifts can be learned or developed (hospitality, giving, etc.)
- Tongues are no different
- Fuller – study on this (40% gift dumped) The rest learn it by practice*
- Problem with this – why am I doing this?
- Spiritual Piety
- Paul did encourage us to seek these gift out (Vs 1 – eagerly desire)
- Talked to several people – praying for it, practicing it (mystery why some and not others
- It might seem out there...
- But whose problem is that... God or yours
- Paul says this...
- Edify the church – one another (middle of Vs 5 but I would rather have you prophesy)
- Paul is not putting down tongues, he is putting down the way they are using it
- Paul valued prophecy more – Vs 1 eagerly desire gifts, especially prophecy...
- He did both – edification was the key here
- Where does this put me?
- Tongues might bring you closer to God, but not literally – sinner saved by grace
- 1 Co 12:29 – Negative or Not (NIV rhetorical)
- Tongues might help your prayer life
- Maybe this opens up a new world