Prayer - Healing (the good side)
- Last the bad - comments
- This week the good
- Next week – Healing Service
- Favorite dessert is gone when you get there
- The meal was good but if only I had had the dessert... then it would have been complete
- I feel like this with the gospel
Two things really stand out for me
- The word Sozo
- Ro 15:19
Sozo – means salvation (sozo=salvation) Makes sense
- Sozo – deliver or healed or cure (no good)
- Lk 17:19 – the ten lepers - “Rise and go; your faith has made you well.”
- NIV has made a textual error
- Context of the text – physical could be the focus...
- Do you see the predicament
- Lk 8 uses sozo 3 Xs – vs. 12, 36, 50
- 12 – saved; 36 – cured; 50 – healed
- Tim Vink read Ro 15:19 - by the power of signs and miracles, through the power of the Spirit. So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.
- Sounds like they didn’t run short or out... full load at all times, everywhere he went
- By power of signs, and miracles
An Aahha moment...
- This makes the sozo word make more sense
- The good news or the gospel is not just about salvation, or heaven but the kingdom of God is now, it is here
- 52 Xs – Kingdom of God (gospels)
- Doing this fully... what else should be happening
Mk 16:17-18 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”
- Mark’s version of the Great commission
· “The glory of God is a human being fully alive.” St Irenaeus
Ro 1:16 - I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes:
- This is for you, for your children...
- Jesus told the parable of the sower
- The gospel message is exponential
Mt 13:23 - But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”
So what does this all mean...?
- We have to look at the gospel differently
- Aahhaa moment...
- Do you want the full deal, or part of it...
- Take ownership of it
- We need to live it... take the plunge
- Jesus did this with His disciples – followers – Mt 9:35 – 10:5
i. I do it you watch
ii. You do it with me
iii. You do it, someone else watches you
What does it look like...? Let’s do it now
- Leading from God – Gary on my heart
- Talked to him to be sure
The impulse of love that leads us to the doorway of a friend is the voice of God within and we need not be afraid to follow it.” Agnes Sanford
- The greatest of these is Love...
- It is easier to be yourself when you focus on love
- Pay less attention to ourselves and more on God
- Healing is not just about faith, but God dumping His love on us
- If anything happens in prayer – the person prayed for should feel loved and closer to God
- No one should ever feel hurt or scared
- Ask the person what to pray for... specific
- What is the problem
- What is causing the problem
- How do they want prayer... as well as listening to God
- Sometimes it just means to be there
- Laying of hands shows love, connection (you do not have to lay hands)
- Turn to God in complete trust, He has the power
- Be honest about your own doubts, adequacy and prediction of results
- Faith-action is praying for the person
i. When God tells us
- Pray obediently and leave the results to God
i. Sometimes God will want follow-up (Love)