Why Did God Give Us the Holy Spirit
Theme: Benefits received via the Holy Spirit. Lk. 11:13
A. God wants the very best for those who would call upon His name:
- Imagine God wanting us saved from our sins (1 Pet. 3:9) but doing nothing to help us toward that end.
- Not only does God want us saved, He also gave us His Spirit to help and bless us.
B. Sometime back we looked at the much debated indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
C. Controversy aside there are explicit reasons why God gave/gives us His Spirit.
D. In this lesson we shall look at these reasons/benefits of having the Holy Spirit in our lives today.
Benefits By Having the Holy Spirit in Our Lives
A. He sanctifies.
- When we become Christians He (through Christ) separated us unto God. Cp. 1 Co. 6:11; Eph. 2:14-18
- He makes our (God willed) service acceptable before God. Cp. Rom. 15:14-21
B. He teaches. Jn. 16:13-15
- He taught the apostles and prophets. Jn. 14:26; 2 Pet. 1:20-21
- He teaches those who are spiritually minded today. 1 Cor. 2
C. He convicts (convinces?) us. Jn. 16:8-11
- Of sin: that they believe in Jesus – who saves us from sin.
- Of righteousness: through which was confirmed when He overcome death by the power of His resurrection.
- Of the judgment to come: by which Satan (and all unbelievers) will be eternally condemned.
D. Other benefits:
- He provides gifts to/for the body of Christ. Cp. 1 Cor. 12:4-11
- He intercedes (according to God’s will) on our behalf when communicating with God. Rom. 8:26-27