Our indebtedness to Christ dictates that we live in unity (and peace) with Him. As long as we are working with our creditors, we have peace. When we start to work against them, we end up living in stress and fear.
1. We owe nothing to the flesh, the flesh only brings condemnation and death
NKJ Romans 6:2 . . .How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?
2. Our indebtedness is to Christ, He is our creditor.
A. He paid the ultimate price on our behalf.
1. Following the flesh means death.
2. The only way to overcome the “deeds of the body,” is “by the Spirit.”
3. The Spirit gives life. (V.11)
1. The true Christian will be lead by the Spirit, and as Christians we are children of God.
2. We should be working with God, not against Him.
1 Corinthians 3:9 9 For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, you are God's building.
1. The Bible speaks of two families, God's and the Devil's. In John chapter 8:42-44, Jesus speaks of these two fathers.
John 8:42-44 42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. 43 "Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. 44 "You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do.
2. Spiritually, you have to be adopted into God's family (Galatians 4:4-7).
Galatians 4:4-7 4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. 6 And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, "Abba, Father!" 7 Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
Among the Greeks and Romans, when a man had no son, he was permitted to adopt one even though not related. He might, if he chose, adopt one of his slaves as a son. The adopted son took the name of the father, and was in every respect regarded and treated as a son. After adoption, the son, no longer a slave, had the privilege of addressing his former master by the title of “father.”
3. “Abba Father” Abba is transliterated from an Aramaic word for father, and is actually a term of endearment.
1. Our Spirit and God’s Spirit must be in agreement, there must be unity.
1. We are heirs, and our mutual suffering brings mutual glorification.
Luke 22:28-29 28 ¶ "But you are those who have continued with Me in My trials. 29 "And I bestow upon you a kingdom, just as My Father bestowed one upon Me,
2. Our faithful obedience, and our willingness to work together, in unity with God brings the greatest rewards.
3. This is the only way we can please Him. “Without faith, it is impossible to please God.”
4. For those without faith, God (our creditor) will demand payment in full, and you will pay for eternity!
If you haven't been adopted into God's family you are, by default, children of the devil. The good news is that adoption is open to anyone. The Bible says "That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."