Series on final instructions
Finally my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.”
In 2 Cor. 12:10, the apostle Paul said “when I am weak, then am I strong.”
Everything we do in the flesh truly is weak, only that which is by the power of God is strong.
I. Doctrinal Section.
A. Thoughts on weakness.
1. Weak does not mean sinful.
2. Weak does not negate responsibility.
3. Weak does mean that one has ceased from their own motives, desires, efforts.
B. Thoughts on power.
1. God’s power is regulated by His character.
a) He is sovereign.
b) He is holy.
c) He is omnipotent.
2. Man’s power is limited by physical and divine restraints.
a) Physically man has proven himself in extraordinary circumstances, to be quite capable of amazing conquests, yet only in relation to humanity.
b) All that man does is governed by God. (see James 4:15)
II. Practical Section.
A. Our inner strength and peace of mind.
1. for the Christian there is only one place where the power of God is realized, “In the Lord.”
2. No Christian will ever know the true freedom of the spiritual life, nor its victory, except they are strong in the Lord.
Example: Israel under the leadership of Joshua.
B. Our protection from outside forces.
The idea is here made clear by the following verses, where we are told to “put on the whole armour of God.
1. The power of His might is a shield of protection.
2. The power of His might is greater than all the coordinated and cumulative efforts of hell itself.