Theme: The foundation for our faith in Christ. Jn. 11:25
A. One of the most fundamental doctrines of Christianity centers upon the resurrection of Jesus as the Christ.
- Without it, Christianity would be a fraud at the very least.
- Because of it, however, the gospel message makes Christianity the only legitimate religion that assures everlasting life to all who believe in/upon the name of Jesus. Jn. 3:3, 14-15
B. This morning we look at the importance of the resurrection of our Savior Jesus Christ.
- To see how Christ’s resurrection makes our faith a practically valid and vital.
- And to let the emotional conviction of this truth shine forth as we sing a song of exhortation (Resurrection) to one another.
HE IMPORTANCE OF CHRIST’S RESURRECTION TO OUR FAITH
A. Many centuries before Christ the concept of the resurrection was believed and proclaimed.
- Job – in the midst of amazing affliction – looked forward to seeing his Redeemer via a physical resurrection. Job. 19:26
- David – as a shadowy prophecy applied to Christ – looked confidently forward to life after death. Psa. 16:10 (Peter: Acts 2:25-27; Paul: Acts 13:32-35)
- Daniel – believed through angelic revelation – proclaimed God’s faithful people would awake to everlasting life. Dan. 12:2
B. Jesus Himself taught about the resurrection.
- He rebuked the Sadducees for their ignorance/unbelief regarding the resurrection. Matt. 22:23-32
- Regarding Judgment Day Jesus spoke emphatically about the resurrection. Jn. 5:28-29
C. The doctrine of the resurrection is central to the gospel of Jesus Christ. 1 Cor. 15:1-11
- Evidence (eye-witnesses) for His resurrection was overwhelming. V. 3-8
- If there is no resurrection then all preaching/believing is vain (profitless) and we’re still living in sin. V. 12-19
EXHORTING ONE ANOTHER THROUGH SONG
A. The exhortation:
- We cheat ourselves (and others) if our faith is limited to simply acknowledging the belief of Christ’s resurrection.
- This knowledge/belief should spring hope with every endeavor you do while living here.
- It should relieve you of all fear when people conspire against you.
- It should bring about joy the world could never fully understand.
B. The song: Resurrection (Richard L. Morrison)
- Stanza 1 – When Jesus stood at Lazarus’ tomb and none believed He had the pow’r…Despite their grief and their disbelief, He commanded, “Take away the stone.”
- Stanza 2 – When Jesus lay in Joseph’s tomb and none believed He had the pow’r… True love spoke forth in a Father’s voice, And the angel took away the stone.
- Stanza 3 – When I shall lie with in my tomb and none believe He has the pow’r, The Lord Himself will descend from heav’n with a shout to take away the stone.
A. The resurrection of Jesus Christ should be the center of your faith, hope, and life in Christ. Jn. 20:24-31
B. May it bring you great joy, comfort, and confidence every time we sing about our resurrected Lord.