Movies - “Marley & Me”
- World is pulling at us...
- We see others doing, buying, acting
- We justify our own lives
Set up clip – Reading what they wrote...
- Scene 3 (start at 8:15 and stop at 9:10)
The movie says...
- Dog yes... Baby no
- Dog = continued happiness (master)
- Baby = Major life change (bad)
- Is not about Dogs vs. Children
World vs. Kingdom of God
- Substitute whatever you want
- You know what you are dealing with God...
What does the world tell us we need?
- Seminary – Explorer, pickup too
What does the Kingdom of God say...?
Ro 12:1 - Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship.
- I urge you brothers... to call forcefully yet comforting too
- In view of God’s mercy – first 11 chapters
- Offer bodies as Living sacrifices
- Bodies – totality of one’s life & activities (body is an expression of that)
- Living vs. Old Test. – dead
- Way of life
- Spiritual act of worship
- Genuine – I really want to be devoted
Devotions in the barn... the test was coming
Vs 2 - Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
- Conform – literally molded
- This world – age or practices without God
- Transformed – Metamorphoo – inside out
- Mind – control center
- God’s will is-his good – Not “God’s good will” but “God’s will is good”
- When we are transformed we want God’s will rather than our will
This is fun... not!
- Transformation often means giving up something
- But it is in Jesus upside-down world
- In losing you gain and in dying we live
Is it worth it....? Movie clip (Scene 22; start at beginning... end at 1:12:26 beginning of showing the baby)
What does transformation mean to you?