TEXT: Luke 4:14‑16. On the Sabbath, he went into the synagogue, as was his custom.
See also Mt. 12:9 Mk 1:21; Luke 4:16; Acts 13:14; Heb. 10:25.
Thesis: Assembling together is optional: God does not force us to do it. But it is required to be acceptable to God. It is also a great opportunity.
Aim: To encourage people to attend the assembly regularly and to foster a sense of responsibility to attend.
1. Ever notice how some people attend every service. Some people attend only on Sunday. Some people attend only on Sunday morning. And some people are entirely unpredictable in their attendance?
2. Why do you suppose that is? If you figure it out, let me know.
3. What do we mean by assembly; Check the Greek references used.
4. Really we are talking about corporate worship.
1. Corporate versus private.
2. Private worship is great, but it is not all there is.
1. Some only worship publicly, some neither.
3. People's attitudes are also different.
4. David, "I was glad when they said unto me, let us go unto the house of the Lord". Psalms 122:1 Being in God's city, His house.
2. WORSHIP IS AN OPTION
1. It is obviously an option to some people.
2. Many people treat the worship as if it were an option.
1. They only come when they feel like it.
2. It doesn't take a very big headache to keep them at home.
3. You can tell by the attendance figures.
3. Going to Hell is also an option.
1. Two guys are out fishing on Sunday morning; One says to the other, I feel bad about skipping church today. The other says, I couldn't go anyway. My wife is sick.
2. God never forces you to go to heaven.
3. God never forces you to come to worship.
1. I am convinced that every time that you neglect worship the Devil rejoices.
4. Heaven is a place of infinite worship. If you don't like to worship, you won't like Heaven very much.
5. Hell is a place where there is no worship.
3. WORSHIP IS AN OBLIGATION.
1. For God, worship is not an option.
1. Commands about the Sabbath day.
2. Penalties for breaking the Sabbath.
3. Many things mentioned in the Old Testament are the same in principle in the new.
3. Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.
(1) This is the principle of worship.
(2) Exodus 20:8; Exodus 34:21; Nehemiah 10:31.
4. WORSHIP IS AN OPPORTUNITY.
1. Faithful people look forward to worship. Ps. 122:1; Ps. 27:4; Ps 84:10; Ps 23:6.
2. Reasons to look forward.
1. To learn; Micah 4:2; isa 2:3
2. Loyalty. It is a sign of what is in your heart. a token of what you believe and where your trust is.
3. To support others: Hebrews 10:25. We come to help the people who are spiritually weak; those who are physically sick; the bereaved. It is a short sighted person who only comes for what they receive. We also come to give.
4. To remain strong: Spiritual maintenance Like repairing a bridge; painting a door; changing the oil in your car.
5. To support evangelism. Greet newcomers. Encourage those who are considering obedience. We teach one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs.
6. It is commanded; you can show your love for Jesus.
7. To Rest; Exodus 20:8‑11. Isa. 58:13 & 14. It is not like the man who asked another are you going to church tomorrow: the reply, Yes I am, I can't afford to miss the sleep. But it is a time to re-center our lives in a turbulent world.
1. It is a sin to neglect the worship of God. It is sin to neglect his business.
2. The worship is an indication of many other spiritual assets and a vehicle to facilitate other assets.