Theme: The Error and Dangers of Islam. Cp. Jn. 14:6
A. It is arguably the fastest growing religion in the world.
- True or not, the number of people identified with Islam is about 1.2 – 1.8 billion, 2nd only to 2.1 billion identified as Christian.
- There are approximately 1.35 million Muslims in the U.S.
- Accordingly, Islam would rank as the 2nd largest religious denomination in the U.S.
B. With these kinds of numbers what do we really know about the religion of Islam?
- Some might have acquaintances or friends who are Muslim.
- Most don’t even know the difference between ‘Islam’ and ‘Muslim’, apart from Islamic teachings.
- We might hear statements from adherents/leaders about their faith.
C. In this lesson we take a brief but factual look at Islam as well as its error and dangers that it poses to Christians.
THE FIVE PILLARS OF ISLAM
A. Shahada (Islamic statement of faith read in Arabic):
- “[I profess that] There is no God but Allah, and Mohammad is the Prophet of Allah.”
- “Sincere recitation of this confession of faith before of two Muslims is the sole requirement for those who wish to join the Muslim community.”
B. Salat (ritual prayer): pray to Allah, facing Mecca five prescribed times each day.
- Prayer is always directed in the direction (qibla) of the Ka'ba shrine in Mecca.
- Salat must always be preceded by ritually washing the face, hands, and feet.
C. Zakat (alms): Generally ~ 2.5% obligatory to help those in need. Anything more is voluntary.
D. Sawm (fasting: ritual, repentant, ascetic):
- Abstinence from food and drink and sexual activity from dawn til dusk.
- It is obligatory (except under certain conditions) during Ramadan.
E. Hajj (December pilgrimage to Mecca).
- Obligatory to able-bodied individuals at least once during their lifetime.
- Commemorates the revelation of the Qur'an to humanity during Ramadan, the ninth month of the Islamic year.
THE ERROR OF ISLAM
A. The Qur’an.
- Revealed from the angel Gabriel to the prophet Muhammad.
- Revelations came to Muhammad when he was 40 years old (610 A.D.) til his death (632 A.D.).
- About three years after the initial revelations Muhammad started preaching the revelations.
- In addition to the Qur’an are other books of faith that include his life (sira) and traditions (sunnah) which are followed by Muslims.
B. Qur’an compared to the Bible.
- Teaching about God.
- Qur’an: Allah is one; Bible: Godhead.
- Qur’an: Allah has no son; Bible: Jesus is the Son of God.
Teaching about Jesus Christ.
- Qur’an: Jesus was born like the rest of man (Qur’an 3:59); Bible: Jesus part of the Godhead (Jn. 1:1-3, 14).
- Qur’an: Jesus refused worship (Qur’an 5:116); Bible: Jesus accepted worship (Matt. 14:33; 28:9).
- Qur’an: Jesus was not crucified (Qur’an 4:157); Bible: Jesus was crucified (Jn. 19:14-20; 1 Cor. 2:2).
- Qur’an: no one to bear sins for man (Qur’an 6:123-124); Bible: Jesus bears our sins. Heb. 9:28
The Qur’an does not teach:
- Jesus as the only way of salvation to the (heavenly) Father. Jn. 14:6
- Instead, it teaches man to follow the teachings and life example of Muhammad.
A. When Jesus – the Son of God – is lessened by one iota, the gospel becomes adulterated and false. Cp. Gal. 1:6-10
B. Anyone who brings a different teaching than the full deity and humanity is antichrist and has no fellowship with God. 1 Jn. 4:2-3; 2 Jn. 1:9
C. While we see the Christian view toward a Muslim, what is the Muslim view toward Christianity/Christians?
THE DANGERS OF ISLAM
A. Clearly: there are Muslims who do not act out in “terror” against non-Muslims.
- Reading Islam is an example of peaceful interactions in the teaching/defending of Islam.
- The question, however, we want answered: is this a fair and balanced view of Islam?
- If so, why are there so many reports of “terrorist” of violence against non-Muslims?
- Are these acts exclusively practiced out of defense?
B. While there are peaceful Muslims there are also violent Muslims who have acted out against Christianity (and other non-Islamic religions).
- Muslims believe their acts are done out of vengeance for years of those who have oppressed them.
- Regarding the Western world: Hussein Massawi (former leader of Hezbollah) – “We are not fighting so that you will offer us something. We are fighting to eliminate you.”
- Hamas Parliament speaker calls for Muslims to kills Jews/Americans.
- Nancy Perkins (American school teacher in Saudi and Kuwait): “I couldn't wait to get out of there - daily the Imam called out for prayers saying "Allah Akbar - Death to Americans.”
C. Warnings from expert and ex-Muslim:
- Robert Spencer (Jihad Watch): “The doctrines of jihad and Islamic supremacism threaten the peace and human rights of all free people. If it is not confronted and resisted, it will prevail.”
- Walid Shoebat (author, Why I Left Jihad): “Islam: What the West Needs To Know” documentary on the reality of violence associated with the Islamic faith.
A. Islam teaches a different God and Jesus Christ.
B. It perverts the teachings (particularly: the gospel) found in the Bible.
C. While there are peaceful Muslims, the overall practice of “faithful Muslims” only achieve “peace” by “subjecting” all to Islam.
D. Faithful Christians have nothing to fear because we have Christ. Rom. 8:31-35
E. Let it be known, however, that the warning regarding Islam and its (arguable) trends should be yet another reason to gird our loins and stand up for the faith once for all delivered to all the saints. Jude 1:3