HS 1 - They Want to Stone Me
Holy Spirit - “They Want To Stone Me”
- Pop cans at Labor Day
- We were scared
Moses, Aaron, Joshua & Caleb – Southwest commercial (want to get away)
- Think about what is behind Israel
That night all the people of the community raised their voices and wept aloud. 2 All the Israelites grumbled against Moses and Aaron, and the whole assembly said to them, “If only we had died in Egypt! Or in this desert! 3 Why is the Lord bringing us to this land only to let us fall by the sword? Our wives and children will be taken as plunder. Wouldn’t it be better for us to go back to Egypt?” 4 And they said to each other, “We should choose a leader and go back to Egypt.”
Where are we going – Holy Spirit
- 2 Co 13:14 – Paul closes with this benediction
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
- Of the 3 – Grace, Love and Fellowship/Comm.
- We are missing the full message of HS
- Fellowship – Gr is koinonia (close mutual association; participation; communion; willing contribution)
- David Cho – Transportation is vital for us
- Necessary for Human welfare
- Partnering with the HS is vital for our Spiritual welfare and a direct correlation to the measure of our faith
- We don’t know what we should be seeking...
Ro 8:26 - In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.
- Do we listen in our prayers, do ask for help
- Is the Holy Spirit our senior partner
First century/Acts 2 church
- Passion, excitement, thanksgiving, vitality because of a partnership with the HS
- Why do we settle for dry ceremonies or outward formalities of religion today?
- Cho says “main problem of the church is it is lawful to express feelings in every field but religion” p19. Amen...?
Ac 19 – Paul ask followers – Have you received the HS
- Never heard of the HS
- This is Ro 15:19 – Full Gospel
- Are you missing it as well
- Cho says “this kind of faith is like a stove without the fire” p20
Question I asked myself
- Is the HS my senior partner
- Why wouldn’t he be - risks
- Making the HS the senior partner will be risky
V 5-10 - 5 Then Moses and Aaron fell face down in front of the whole Israelite assembly gathered there. 6 Joshua son of Nun and Caleb son of Jephunneh, who were among those who had explored the land, tore their clothes (sign of death; something was not going to turn out good; prophecy) 7 and said to the entire Israelite assembly, “The land we passed through and explored is exceedingly good. 8 If the Lord is pleased with us, he will lead us into that land, a land flowing with milk and honey, and will give it to us. 9 Only do not rebel against the Lord. And do not be afraid of the people of the land, because we will swallow them up. Their protection is gone, but the Lord is with us. Do not be afraid of them.”
10 But the whole assembly talked about stoning them.
Do you see the risk – stoning was for idol worship; blasphemy against God; sex with animals
- What might you risk or lose?
I read this wk – “You cannot go with God and stay where you are” Unknown Teacher
The rest of the Story – V 11-12
Then the glory of the Lord appeared at the Tent of Meeting to all the Israelites. 11 The Lord said to Moses, “How long will these people treat me with contempt? How long will they refuse to believe in me, in spite of all the miraculous signs I have performed among them? 12 I will strike them down with a plague and destroy them, but I will make you into a nation greater and stronger than they.”
What to do with the Pop Can Plan...
- Talked to Pastor Randy
- He’d been praying for just that
- Let’s do it
- Stood in front of church – dry mouth; HS gave me ideas
- 2500 cans stacked in front of church
Pray for the Holy Spirit
- Confess – Quenched the Spirit
- Acknowledge the Holy Spirit – We want to welcome Him, seek guidance, senior partner