2 Samuel - Who's Your Nathan
2 Samuel 12:1-14
“Who’s Your Nathan?”
- Seminary intro. I needed an editor
God see’s that David needs an editor
- Vs 1 – The Lord sent Nathan to David...
- They had talked before, relationship, trust was here...
- 7:1-17* – **Nathan** tells him to build then has to tell him not to build*
- What did that do for their relationship – Nathan had to be real
Vs 1 ... When he came to him he said...
- Does David want an editor
- Nathan* might wonder... how do I tell him? *
- Prophet talking to King could be disastrous
- What does he do...?
*...“There were two men in a certain town, one rich and the other poor. 2 The rich man had a very large number of sheep and cattle, 3 but the poor man had nothing except one little ewe lamb he had bought. He raised it, and it grew up with him and his children. It shared his food, drank from his cup and even slept in his arms. It was like a daughter to him. 4 “Now a traveler came to the rich man, but the rich man refrained from taking one of his own sheep or cattle to prepare a meal for the traveler who had come to him. Instead, he took the ewe lamb that belonged to the poor man and prepared it for the one who had come to him.” *
No guns a blazing
- Truth without Love is Harsh
- Nathan talked with Love
- The result is...
5 David* burned with anger against the man and said to Nathan, “As surely as the Lord lives, the man who did this deserves to die! 6 He must pay for that lamb four times over, because he did such a thing and had no pity.” *
What is Nathan thinking...?
- Okay David is not a snob... common sense
- Isn’t soft... he knows the Torah
- Deserves to die not surely will die
- Death for this was not in the law
- Pay four times back
- Deserves to die not surely will die
- Our story – big vs. small (David vs. Goliath)
- Farming – wanting more land...
- * *
Nathan* has to share the punch line... The truth*
7 Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man!
- He didn’t hold back... then adds...
This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. 8 I gave your master’s house to you, and your master’s wives into your arms. I gave you the house of Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more. 9 Why did you despise the word of the Lord by doing what is evil in his eyes? You struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword and took his wife to be your own. You killed him with the sword of the Ammonites. 10 Now, therefore, the sword will never depart from your house, because you despised me and took the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your own.’
11 “This is what the Lord says: ‘Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity upon you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will lie with your wives in broad daylight. 12 You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel.’ ”
Truth makes the story look even worse
- David* what were you thinking*
- Nathan’s story was true – big not just buying but stealing from the small
- Man after God’s heart – despising His Word (no respect... the heck with it)
- Kind of like Judas Iscariot
- What I thought of swearing as kid...
- God says “you did this in secret”
- Roses – real or fake
- We all can spot a fake
- Why... we have all been there
- Love without Truth is saccharin
- A white crystalline compound that is several hundred times sweeter than sugar. Sugar substitute*.*
- Fake + Fake = Saccharin
- Fake + Real = Frustration
- Real + Real = Conviction
Vs 13 – Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.”
- This is tied back to Nathan being real in chapter 7* – **going back on what he thought*
- Since they were real Nathan knew David meant it
- Getting mad at Jon*...*
- Conviction + Repentance = Freedom
Vs 13b – Nathan replied, “The Lord has taken away your sin. You are not going to die.
- We still see consequences from our choices
Vs 14 – But because by doing this you have made the enemies of the Lord show utter contempt, the son born to you will die.”
Truth + Love = Real Rose
- Real rose need water
- Cannot do this on our own
- We want to sure try...
- Body of believers
- 1Co 12:12-13
The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by* **one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. *
- Children speak truth
- Aaron* Van Voorst**... you stink*
- Child in all of us
- Children say it best
- Video – “I need you” (Worship House Video)
I need Bren
I need Staff – forget things
Do you need water and will you tell someone?