Paul’s Prayer for the Colossians, Part 1
Paul’s Prayer for the Colossians
Prayer of Appreciation 3-8, 12-14
Prayer of Application 9-11
Prayer of Adoration 15-18
Prayer of Appreciation 3-8, 12-14
•In Paul’s greeting he describes those he is writing to 2
•This description is of anyone who is a Believer
-> Who we are – Saints
-> What we are – Faithful Brethren
- The word faithful means to be “steadfast in affection or allegiance, to be full of faith, to be loyal, to be firm in adherence to promises, or in the discharge of duty. It means to be true to the original.”
-> Where we are – In Christ
- Christians have at least to places of residence, maybe it is Calhoun, Camden, or Clarksville, but all of us are “In Christ”
- Paul begins this letter with a prayer for these Saints and faithful brethern
I.Paul Expresses His Thanksgiving for Their Reception of the Gospel 3-8
- Salvation comes from hearing the gospel 5b
- The Gospel is the message of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ on the behalf of sinners unable to save themselves.
- Gospel is the Greek word euangelion, from which we derive the English word evangelize. It literally means, “Good News.”
- Scripture describes the gospel with several phrases. Act 20:24 calls it “the gospel of the grace of God.” Rom 1:9 designates it “the gospel of His Son,” and 1Co 9:12 “the gospel of Christ.” Rom 15:16 refers to it as “the gospel of God,” 2Co 4:4 characterizes it as “the gospel of the glory of Christ,” Eph 6:15 as “the gospel of peace,” and Rev 14:6 as the “eternal gospel.” The gospel is also described as the “word of truth” (Col 1:5), or the “message of truth” (Eph 1:13).
A.Paul gives 5 aspects of the Gospel
1.It is possessed by faith 4
a.Saving faith means to believe in, rely on, and cling to.
b.The object of faith is “In Christ”
- Faith is so often used as some mystical magic potion. Just having faith will not save, you must have faith in something, believe in something, trust in something. For salvation of sin, there is only one place to put your trust, Jesus Christ.
2.It produces fruit 4, 6
a.Restoration fruit 4
- Salvation always results in a change of life
- 1 John is all about the changes that come as a result of salvation
- The one he emphasis the most is love for the brethren
To dwell above with saints we love
That will indeed be glory;
To dwell below, with saints we know,
Well, that’s another story!
1 John 2:5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him.
1 John 3:10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother. 11 For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another,
1 John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death.
Love is not just words according to 1 John 3:16 By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17 But whoever has this world's goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?
1 John 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.
1 John 3:23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.
1 John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has seen God at any time. If we love one another, God abides in us, and His love has been perfected in us.
1 John 4:20 If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?
1 John 4:21 And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.
b.Reproductive fruit 6
i.The preaching of the gospel will produce the fruit of people being saved
ii.The power of the gospel is not in persuasive words or presentation, but in the message itself
1 Corinthians 1:21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
3.It is preached by faithful believers 7
- The problem is not the message, but the lack of messengers
Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?
- We are not called to invite people to church, we are called to witness, share, preach the Gospel
- Church is for Christians not for the lost
4.It gives the promise of heaven 5
- The word “hope” here is not a wish but it means a sure thing
- “is laid up”, not might be, or could be, but “IS laid up for you in heaven.”
5.It is provided by the Grace of God 6c
- Grace is unmerited favor
Ephesians 2:8-9 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
- We do nothing, nor can we, to be saved. Salvation is all of God
- God is the one being thanked for these peoples salvation
Col 1:12 – giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints…
- We do not come to God, He comes to us.
John 3:19-20 19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.
- You came to church today, but you are running from the message we preach, and that feeling, that churning, that conviction you are feeling is the work of God who has come to you today. Surrender in the spotlight of His truth, His Gospel, His Grace!
II.Paul Expresses His Thanksgiving for the Rewards of the Gospel 12-14
A.We are made fit for inheritance 12
- “Qualified” - To make able, to make fit
1.Fit by regeneration – “inheritance” assumes family
Romans 8:16-17 16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs--heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.
1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead… 23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,
- Children inherit:
Matthew 25:34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Acts 20:32 So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.
Acts 26:18 to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.'
Romans 8:17 and if children, then heirs--heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.
Ephesians 1:11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will,
Ephesians 1:18 the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
2.Fit by transformation –
- “Saints” – Sanctified, set apart, sacred, holy
3.Fit by revelation –
- “The Light” – Refers to spiritual sight, or spiritual understanding of the Word and Gospel of Jesus
2 Corinthians 4:4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.
James 1:18 Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.
Again, 1 Peter 1:23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,
Again, Acts 20:32 So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.
B.Made us free from ignorance 13a
- “power of darkness” is opposite of “The Light”
- To truly be appreciative and thankful and worshipful for what we have and what we are in Christ we must realize what we were and how hopeless our condition was
2 Corinthians 4:3-4 3 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.
Ephesians 4:18 having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart;
Colossians 1:21 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled
Ephesians 2:1 And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
- But, the point of the verse is that “He Delivered us”
C.Made us foreigners to insignificance 13b, 14
1.Significance of our citizenship
Daniel 7:14 Then to Him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, That all peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion, Which shall not pass away, And His kingdom the one Which shall not be destroyed.
b.The King of the Kingdom “of the Son”
Psalms 2:6 "Yet I have set My King On My holy hill of Zion."
Isaiah 9:6-7 6 For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice From that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.
c.The Character of the Kingdom “of His love”
i.Everlasting (Daniel 7:14 above)
ii.Unshakable Heb. 12:28
v.Kingdom with perfect Justice
vi.Righteous, peaceful, and joyful
Romans 14:17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
2.Significance of our ownership
- How did he deliver us from the power of darkness and make us citizens of His righteous kingdom?
- “Redemption” - a releasing secured by payment of ransom
- This payment was made to the justice required by God
- Hosea and Gomer
- “Through His blood”
1 Peter 1:18-19 18 knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct (Green Lit: worthless way of life) received by tradition from your fathers, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.
- The Bible says cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree
- Crucifixion was reserved for the most worthless of convicts
Song, The Old Rugged Cross:
On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame;
And I love that old cross where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.
Oh, that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above,
To bear it to dark Calvary.
In the old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
Such a wonderful beauty I see;
For ‘twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
To pardon and sanctify me.
To the old rugged cross I will ever be true,
Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He’ll call me some day to my home far way,
Where His glory forever I’ll share.
So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross
And exchange it someday for a crown.
3.Significance of our relationship – “the forgiveness of sins.”
- “Forgiveness” - 1) release from bondage or imprisonment, 2) forgiveness or pardon, of sins (letting them go as if they had never been committed), remission of the penalty
a.God makes us as if we had never sinned
b.Salvation doesn’t shove your sins under a carpet or in a closet, it does away with them, because Jesus paid for them.
- Ron Owen: "He took away that which kept you away from the Heavenly way"
Song, Jesus Paid it All:
Lord, now indeed I find Thy pow’r and Thine alone,
Can change the leper’s spots And melt the heart of stone.
For nothing good have I Whereby Thy grace to claim;
I’ll wash my garments white In the blood of Calv’ry’s Lamb.
And when, before the throne, I stand in Him complete,
‘Jesus died my soul to save,’ My lips shall still repeat.
Jesus paid it all, All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as sno