living true in babylon # 1
7 June 2009
BIG IDEA on your knees you can stand tall & live true
Daniel a man of courage & wisdom
DO STORY Dan 1 is the story BENEFITS long term influence in Babylon
DANIEL STARTS WITH A SIEGE
Clash of Kingdoms - people under fire - making the best of a difficult, imperfect, world
v1-2 … 2 kings 2 cities 2 temples 2 Gods
v1 natural realm v2 spiritual realm – God is working behind the scenes
KING’S WEAPON # 1- CONTROL
Strategically smart move – enculturation of the brightest & best & harness their abilities
King Neb has complete control … 2 "carried off", 3 ordered" 5 "assigned"
He controls their …
· city of living - Babylon not Jerusalem
· education & training
· new names “change someone’s name … exercise authority over them & their destiny”
DANIEL’S DEFENCE # 1 = COURAGE
Decision (resolved, determined, purposed, made up his mind) forged out of steely courage
How do you get courage? Perfect love casts out all fear
· Cross of Jesus Christ – remember His love for you! perfect love casts out all fear
· Love - love the key people in your world have people in your world who are more important to you than your comfort. I will sacrifice for my family, friends & sheep.
· Resurrection – consider eternity - rewards & judgments are located in eternity i.e. living for more than just this life
· Vision – scare yourself to your knees with big dreams with deadlines
GOD HAD ALREADY BEEN WORKING
It looks as though things are out of control
But God has been working on Ashpenaz’s heart – he had a soft spot for Daniel
KING’S WEAPON # 2 - INTIMIDATION
“I am afraid … king would then have my head”
DANIEL’S DEFENCE # 2 = WISDOM
“Let’s try it out! There’s nothing to lose”
Concocts a solution that handles Ashpenaz with care & concern whilst maintaining his integrity - he is sensitive to Ashpenaz's dilemma & factors it into response.
God wants us BIG ENOUGH to not be stubbornly dogmatic about our standards whilst we seek to live in integrity
Daniel's wisdom is beyond his years. We tend to be black & white, bull at a gate in our younger years, overly religious in our pursuit of righteousness - I was thus inclined.
How do you get wisdom?
Dan 1:17 ask God for it
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. James 1:5
on your knees you can stand tall & live true
DANIEL INFLUENCES BABYLON FOR 65 YEARS
Dan 1:21 539 BC – 65 yrs after this story!!!