1. This passage records the triumphant entry of Jesus into Jerusalem
a. This was the very Sunday Morning that Jesus fulfilled the ancient prophecy of Zech 9:9
b. Riding on a donkey, what a glorious task for such a lowly creature.
i. I am interested in this little donkey of all the creatures; this animal is stubborn, surely not fit for a King.
ii. Jesus could have used any means to fulfill his mission but he chose to use a little animal- a donkey.
iii. He still uses little donkeys to get his work done on earth. He uses the likes of you and me.
1. We can be stubborn, resisting direction, heehawing all over the place.
2. He graciously had chosen to work through us, and sometimes in spite of us.
iv. Most of us have heard about Theology, Soteriology, Christology, Eschatology. Today I would like to talk about another “…ology” that isn’t study in the ivory towers of Seminary. I want to address the topic of DONKEYOLOGY.
v. You hear me correctly- we don’t hear much about the donkey Jesus rode that day. But the Bible reveals some interesting facts about this lowly creature.
c. This Donkey was chosen by the Lord. 11:1, 2 “…you will find a donkey tied there, on which no one has ever sat.
i. Jesus chose this little guy to complete a very important mission. To carry the King of Kings through the streets of Jerusalem.
ii. The Lord by His gracious love has chosen you to be His very own, in theological terms it is called “predestination” He has chosen you to be His sons and daughters”
iii. Issues that need to be dealt with before we are a part of His family:
1. In our natural (Donkey) state we are
a. Dead in trespasses and sins. Eph 2:1
b. Given over to the lusts of the flesh. Eph 2:2-3
c. God’s enemies Romans 8:7
2. When the Lord found us we’re in our natural, stubborn, resistant state, but Jesus didn’t leave us in that way.
a. By His Grace, He changed us completely
b. He gave us life Eph 2:5-6
c. He freed us from the penalty of our sins. Col. 2:13-14
d. He bridged the gulf that separated us from Him Eph 2:13-16
3. You were chosen by the King of kings, it didn’t happen because you joined the church, or when you were baptized. John 6:44
2. This donkey was set free. Verse 4
a. I’m sure this little donkey was glad to be free. I’m guessing hanging around stable and unable to leave is boring. He wasn’t sure why he was untied but who cares “I’m released”.
b. Jesus found us all tied up with ropes restricting us, ropes of anger, jealously, resentment, hatred ect.
c. We were born into this world as slaves to sin. We had no concept of a God who wanted to free us, who loved us with unconditional love.
d. Our greatest need was to set free!
i. He delivered us from Bondage Rom. 6:14
ii. He gave us a new desire to trust Him and Love Him. Titus 2:14
iii. He made us “new creatures” 2Cor 5:17
iv. He freed us from sin, self and Satan. John 8:36
e. Has Jesus freed you from anything lately? Praise Him. He can be trusted
3. This Donkey was tamed by a Loving King. Verse 2
a. This little guy had never been ridden before- he was a wild guy.
b. He needs a gentle and loving Master to control him. And the greatest Master to ride him was Jesus.
c. This is what Jesus needs to do in our lives; we were wild and untamed doing whatever we desired.
i. The taming isn’t always pleasant, being sat on, being directed by someone else is never enjoyable.
1. It’s a matter of perspective, when we’re being tamed we wonder “Jesus do you know what you’re doing?” “Hey this hurts” “What did I do to deserve this?
2. But reality the taming means “this will produce a fragrance which will glorify God” “This will produce the image of Jesus into your life.
ii. Taming brings submission to the Lordship of Jesus.
1. When we trust the Father, submission isn’t hard. Rather it’s a joy. It is like a husband and wife- equal submission is easier when we trust and love the other person.
2. Is Jesus your Lord?
3. The taming process is never pleasant but it’s necessary in order to be used for His purposes.
4. Conclusion: verse 3 “The Lord has need of Him.”
a. Jesus needed the Donkey to accomplish His mission and fulfill prophecy.
b. He wants you and me to accomplish His mission before He return for His people.
c. But we need to belong to Him, We need to be free from the ropes that bind us and restrict us and We need to come under the Loving Master who desires the best for us.