THE END OF AN ERA part 2
LESSON: THE END OF AN ERA part 2
READING: I CHRONICLES 28:9-21
INTRO: I Chronicles describes the transfer of power/influence. David was now 70 years old
and has fought the good fight from the throne and the field for 4 decades. The heir apparent is his son Solomon. Dad must now say something that will be long lasting and memorable.
I. HIS CHARGE IS AKNOW GOD SON!@- 9
A. Godliness Is Most Important To David
1. Many thing are of value, but this is a must
2. ILLUST: George Jagger
3. ARather be with Jesus than.....@ powerful!
4. Are our kids going to thing that way?
B. Don=t Miss The Opportunities As They Fly By
1. We must teach them the Word of God
2. We must show them what it looks like in life
a. Our decisions, our practices, our priorities
b. Most fathers will not be tested as drastic and dramatic as was George Jagger
c. But we are all tested, little by little.
3. A household slave said to the child of a preacher, Athe problem with life son is that it is so daily.@
C. Old Dad Said To Young Son, AKnow God.@
II. THEN HE SAID, ASERVE GOD.@-9
A. One Might Have Faith But Not Be God=s Servant
1. AServe...with whole heart and willing mind.@
2. Don=t make God force you to worship Him!
B. David Had This King Of Heart And It Was Known
1. His songs were on the hit parade in Israel.
2. Solomon knew these songs as well.
C. What Is You Investment, Dads?
1. It makes us stop and think, AIf my kids follow my way will they serve God willingly from their heart? Will they be in heaven some day?
2. Why do we now have more fathers who believe the Bible and direct their homes?
D. David Could Say It From Experience, but he adds AGod searches the heart...@ v. 9
1. Surely David was thinking of a dark day earlier, when kings go to battle and he remained behind.
2. Remembering that terrible chain of events and knowing God he reminds his son that God knows all hearts.
3. If our children know God and serve God willingly this sin is unlikely.
III. DAVID TELLS HIS SON, ASEEK GOD@-9
A. Throughout Our Lives We Must Do This
B. That Is If We Wish To Be Saved And Influential-9
1. Seek and sake sound something alike
2. But notice the blessing and consequences
IV. NOW DAVID HANDS OVER THE PLANS-10-19
A. Picture David and Son On The Floor
1. Put this here and put that there
2. Be very careful with weights and measures
3. It is all there Solomon and you get to do it.
4. Another father/son moment. Take it.
B. But Note Where The Plan Came From;
1. David had worked on this as if to do it.
2. God said Ano@ to David.
3. But David had secured materials, workmen, and made all the arrangements
4. But the Spirit gave him the guidance-11,12,19
CONCLUSION: From beginning to end the kingdom and the temple were for and of God. Solomon needs to know and abide by this belief. He is at this moment an untried ruler and must not rely on his own wisdom.
ILLUSTRATIONS USED IN THIS LESSON
This is a true story of a man who took his three sons and his own father on a fishing trip in the Atlantic. When he left, George Jaggar did not imagine that before he sat foot on land again, he would lose his father and all three sons to exhaustion and lungs filled with sea water. A violent storm had arisen and they were caught. Their boat rolled, pitched and began to list. With the boat sinking, all five Jaggar men put on life jackets, tied themselves together with one rope and slipped into the water. 6 ft waves and a vicious current made swimming nearly impossible. First 1 then 2 then 3 of the Jaggar sons had swallowed too much salt water and they died. George=s father also succumbed. George watched 4 of 5 people die but he kept on swimming toward shore, dragging 4 men.
8 hours later he staggered on shore, still dragging the bodies. To reporters, he later said, AI realized my boys and father were all dead, I guess I didn=t want to accept it, so I kept on swimming all night.@
George said, Amy youngest son Clifford went first. I had always taught my boys that they need not fear death because it means being with Jesus. Just before Clifford drowned, I heard him say, >I would rather be with Jesus than go on fighting.=@