God's Word In Your Life
GOD’S WORD IN YOUR LIFE
A sword is designed to be used skillfully in battle as both an offensive and a defensive weapon. God has equipped you with a tremendous instrument for spiritual battle, “The Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God” (Eph. 6:17). The Holy Spirit uses the Word of God to accomplish the work of God.
“The great need of the hour among persons spiritually hungry is twofold: first to know the Scriptures, apart from which no saving truth will be vouchsafed by our Lord; the second, to be enlightened by the Spirit, apart from whom the Scriptures will not be understood.” A.W. Tozer
GOD’S WORD – HIS COMMNICATION TO YOU
The Bible is the most remarkable book ever written. About 40 men of several countries and many occupations did the writing. They wrote over a period of approximately 1,500 years and in three languages: Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. Yet the Bible has one great theme and central figure: Jesus Christ. All of this would be impossible unless the Bible has one supreme Author, and it did, the Holy Spirit of God.
1. What does 2 Tim. 3:16 say about the Scriptures?
a. Some of the Bible is inspired by God.
- All of it is inspired by God.
- Only the parts that speak to you in a personal way are inspired by God.
“Inspired” comes from the Greek word meaning “God-breathed.”
“The meaning, then is not that God breathed into the writers, nor that He somehow breathed into the writings to give them their special character, but that what was written by men was breathed out by God. He spoke through them. They were His spokesmen.” - John R.W. Stott
2. How do the following verses describe God’s Word?
Heb. 4:12 _________________________________________________________________________
Ps. 19:7-11 ________________________________________________________________________
Eph. 6:16-17 _______________________________________________________________________
3. How was the Word of God given to us?
2 Pet. 1:20-21 ______________________________________________________________________
4. What help do we have in understanding the Bible?
1 Cor. 2:12-13 _____________________________________________________________________
WHAT IS IT’S VALUE?
1. The Word of God is given that it might be profitable for what four things, according 2 Tim. 3:16?
1) __________________________________________ What to believe and do.
2) __________________________________________ Where we have sinned.
3) __________________________________________ How to change.
4) __________________________________________ How to live.
“O man, I beseech you, do not treat God’s promises as if they were curiosities for a museum; but believe them and use them…” - Charles H. Spurgeon
2. Look up the following verses and summarize some of the ways the Bible is important to you as a Christian.
Jer. 15:16 _________________________________________________________________________
John 5:39 _________________________________________________________________________
2 Pet. 1:4 __________________________________________________________________________
1 John 2:1 _________________________________________________________________________
3. What can we be sure of about God’s word?
1) Prov. 30:5 ______________________________________________________________________
2) Ps. 111:7-8 _____________________________________________________________________
3) 1 Pet. 1:24-25 ___________________________________________________________________
Read the following references. Write what it says you ought to do in relationship to God’s Word.
1. Col 3:16 __________________________________________________________________________
2. Ps. 1:2-3 __________________________________________________________________________
3. Ps. 119:11 _________________________________________________________________________
4. Ezra 7:10 _________________________________________________________________________
5. James 1:23-24 ______________________________________________________________________
6. John 8:31 _________________________________________________________________________
7. What practical things can you do to apply these verses to your life? ___________________________
8. What one responsibility will you start with first? __________________________________________