How to Function in the Body
HOW TO FUNCTION IN THE BODY
“No one reading the New Testament objectively can deny that God has a unique plan for every Christian during their life on earth. God desires that every believer be a functioning member of a local church – a local “body” or “family” of believers. These believers mutually care for one another, minister to one another, and consequently build one another up in Christ.” - Gene Getz
WHAT IS THE CHURCH?
1. There are several Biblical metaphors that show what the church is like. From the following scriptures, what is the church compared to?
Jn. 10:1-15, 26-30 ___________________________________________________________________
Col. 1:13; Rom. 14:17 _______________________________________________________________
Eph. 2:19 _________________________________________________________________________
Eph. 5:22-32 _______________________________________________________________________
Jn. 15:1-10 ________________________________________________________________________
Eph. 2:20-22 _______________________________________________________________________
1 Cor. 12. 12-27 ____________________________________________________________________
2. From 1 Cor. 12:20, 25-27, what should be the relationship between members of the church?
Every one of the metaphors of the church emphasizes its unity. The church is one bride with one husband; one flock with one shepherd; one set of branches on one vine; one kingdom with one king; one family with one father; one building with one foundation; one body with one head.
WHO IS IT’S HEAD?
1. What do the following verses teach about Christ’s position in the church?
Eph. 5:23 _________________________________________________________________________
Col. 1:18 __________________________________________________________________________
2. Why is Christ alone worthy of being head of the church?
Acts 20:28 ________________________________________________________________________
3. What has He done for us through His death?
Eph. 1:7 __________________________________________________________________________
4. Since Christ is the head of the church, what is our responsibility in relationship to Him? ___________
The Church is made up of people who have been born anew by the Spirit of God – people of many denominations, races and nations. Though we speak different languages and are in congregations throughout the world, we are united in one body with one Head, Jesus Christ. Every born again believer is a member of God’s family and our brother or sister in Christ.
WHAT IS THE ROLE OF THE LOCAL CONGREGATION?
1. What activities of the local church in Jerusalem are mentioned in Acts 2:42?
1) ______________________________________ 3) ______________________________________
2) ______________________________________ 4) ______________________________________
2. What is the purpose of meeting together as Christians?
Heb. 10:24-25 ______________________________________________________________________
3. Read 1 Pet. 5:1-4. These verses give instruction to the leaders of a local church. Summarize what you understand their responsibility to be. ____________________________________________________
4. Not only are instructions given to the leaders of the church, but also to the members. What do the following verses teach about your responsibility?
1 Pet. 5:5 __________________________________________________________________________
Heb. 13:17 ________________________________________________________________________
5. How should those who are appointed to preach and teach be supported?
1 Cor. 9:11, 14 _____________________________________________________________________
Gal. 6:6 ___________________________________________________________________________
6. Read Eph. 4:11-13. What are the saints to be doing? _______________________________________
What is the ultimate goal of Christian ministry? ___________________________________________
“The Church is the only fellowship in the world where the one requirement for membership is the unworthiness of the candidate.” - Robert Munger
WHAT IS YOUR ROLE IN THE CHURCH?
“The Church is the body of Christ. Every Christian is a member or organ of the body, while Christ Himself is the Head, controlling the body’s activities. Not every organ has the same function but each is necessary for the maximum health and usefulness of the body. Moreover, the whole body is animated by a common life. This is the Holy Spirit. It is His presence which makes the body one.”
– John R.W. Stott
1. Each believer is given different, but important responsibilities in this spiritual body, the Church. Read 1 Cor. 12:14-27
A. Who gave the members their various functions? (v.18) ___________________________________
B. What attitude can lead to disharmony in the body? (v. 15, 16, 21) __________________________
2. What are we to do with the gifts that have been given to us?
1 Pet. 4:10 _________________________________________________________________________
3. Rom. 12:3-8 gives a partial list of gifts given to a body. What different gifts do you see listed?
(Note: For a more complete list of the gifts, see also 1 Cor. 12:7-10; 1 Pet. 4:10-11; Eph. 4:11.)
4. Based on this list, what gift do you think may have been given to you for use in the Body of Christ?
“Since Christ wants a healthy body, every member must have a ministry that lends itself to the health of that body. If just one of your organs doesn’t function, the whole body feels it. The same is true of the body of Christ; every organ has a function that affects the health of the whole body. If the body is to be healthy and mature, every believer must actively and intensively involve themselves in the function God has given them.” - John MacArthur