HOW TO WALK IN THE SPIRIT’S POWER
As the first disciples were filled with the Holy Spirit, they received a divine, supernatural power that changed them from fearful men into radiant witnesses for Christ. They were used of God to change the course of history. That same power, the power of the Holy Spirit, is available to you, to enable you to live a holy and fruitful life for Jesus Christ.
WHO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT?
1. Much is taught in the Bible about the Holy Spirit. The following verses describe some of the characteristics and activities. Briefly explain what you learn about the Spirit.
Acts 13:2 _________________________________________________________________________
Ps. 139:7 __________________________________________________________________________
1 Cor. 2:10-12 1) ___________________________________________________________________
Eph. 4:30 _________________________________________________________________________
1 John 5:7 _________________________________________________________________________
2. Who did Peter believe the Holy Spirit to be?
Acts 5:3-4 _________________________________________________________________________
3. How does Jesus describe the Holy Spirit?
John 14:16-17 1) ___________________________________________________________________
4. What does Genesis 1:2 teach about the Holy Spirit?
WHAT DOES THE HOLY SPIRIT DO?
1. Read Jesus’ words in John 16:7-15. What do you learn about what the Holy Spirit does?
2. John 14:16 says the Holy Spirit comes as a _______________________________________________
What do you think this means? ________________________________________________________
Have you seen evidence of this work in your life? Explain. __________________________________
3. What does Acts 1:8 teach us about the Holy Spirit’s work in our lives?
4. What role did the Holy Spirit play in Paul’s missionary work?
Acts 13:2, 4 _______________________________________________________________________
Acts 16:6-7 ________________________________________________________________________
1 Cor. 2:4 _________________________________________________________________________
5. Scripture also teaches that the Holy Spirit is involved in our prayer life. Explain what you think this means. Rom. 8:36 __________________________________________________________________
6. Summarize what you have learned about the Spirit’s work. __________________________________
7. From your study thus far, what can you expect the Spirit to be doing in your life? ________________
“The Spirit links Himself with us in our praying and pours His supplication into our own. We may master the technique of prayer and understand it’s philosophy; we may have unlimited confidence in the veracity and validity of the promises concerning prayer. We may plead them earnestly. But if we ignore the part played by the Holy Spirit, we have failed to use the master key.” - J. Oswald Sanders
WHO HAS THE HOLY SPIRIT?
1. According to 1 Cor. 12:13, what happens to every Christian? ________________________________
How does Eph. 1:13-14 relate to this verse? ______________________________________________
2. What does Paul tell the church at Corinth?
1 Cor. 3:16; 6:19-20 _________________________________________________________________
What should we do because of this fact? _________________________________________________
How can you bring glory to Him? ______________________________________________________
3. Read Rom. 8:9-14. What can you learn about who has the Holy Spirit? ________________________
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO WALK IN THE SPIRIT’S POWER?
1. What is God’s command in regards to the Holy Spirit?
Eph 5:18-21 _______________________________________________________________________
2. What does vs. 19-21 say about what will result from being filled? _____________________________
To be filled with the Holly Spirit means to be directed and empowered by the Holy Spirit. To be filled with the Holy Spirit is to be filled with Christ, to live in dependence upon Him, recognizing that it is Christ who lives in and through us. Paul said, “I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but Christ in me.” (Gal. 2:20) The experience of Paul’s life and Christ’s desire for every Christian is that we be constantly filled, directed and empowered with the Holy Spirit.
3. What fruit will the Holy Spirit produce in your life?
Gal 5:22-23 ________________________________________________________________________
4. What are some of the other results of being filled with the Holy Spirit?
Acts 4:31 _________________________________________________________________________
Acts 11:24 ________________________________________________________________________
Rom. 5:5 _________________________________________________________________________
The Spirit-filled life is an obedient life. Begin each day by asking God to cleanse your life according to 1 John 1:9. Present your body to Him as a living sacrifice (Rom. 12:1-2) and ask Him to keep you filled with His power.
5. What does God promise in 1 John 5:14-15? ______________________________________________
Is it God’s will that you be filled with the Holy Spirit? ______________________________________
What will God do if you ask Him to fill you with His Holy Spirit? ____________________________
Here is one illustration of the power that results from the union of the Holy Spirit with the believer.
“I have in my hand a piece of lead. I hold it over a pool of water, and I relax my grip. The lead is drawn irresistibly earthwards and sinks to the bottom of the pool. It has been mastered by the law of gravity. I take the same piece of lead, attach it to a piece of wood and drop it into the pool; now it floats. No change has taken place in the nature or tendency of the lead, nor has the law of gravity ceased to function, but through it’s union with the wood, it has been mastered by a stronger law, the law governing floating bodies. It has been emancipated from the downward pull of gravity.” - J. Oswald Sanders