Title: OVERCOMING FINANCIAL DEBT
Text: Luke 16:10-12
It’s my prayer that this message will bless you and provide strength and direction for living in the freedom that God intended for us.
Mortgage payment, house insurance, car insurance, health insurance, phone bill, utilities bill, garbage bill, car payment, magazine subscription, retirement payment, credit card, doctor bills…on and on it goes…I hate debt! It takes the JOY out of life if you have too much debt! It turns you into a SLAVE!
Tonight I want to show you how to overcome that slavery, and how to live in financial freedom…and by the way, these principles are true no matter HOW MUCH money you make!
I. TRANSFER OWNERSHIP OF ALL YOU HAVE TO GOD
A. I’m just His steward.
B. When you view all possessions as God’s, you don’t clutch them.
II. ESTABLISH THE TIGHE AS A REGULAR REMINDER THAT EVERYTHING BELONGS TO GOD
III. MAKE YOUR LIFE’S GOAL TO SEEK GOD’S KINDOM FIRST Matt. 6:32-33
IV. GET OUT OF DEBT ALTOGETHER Deut. 15:5-6; Prov. 22:7
V. EVALUATE EVERY EXPENDITURE AS TO HOW IT WILL BENEFIT GOD AND HIS REPUTATION Matt. 6:24
VI. NEVER PUT GOD IN A FINANCIAL CORNER
– Don’t pray, then run to the bank & say, “God will provide for the payments.”
VII. GIVE GOD A CHANCE TO PROVIDE
VIII. DETERMINE GOD’S REASONS FOR LACK OF FUNDS.
– Do I need it?
– Is God testing my faith?
– Did I misuse God’s money?
– Did I violate any of God’s principles?
– Am I in the right job?
IX. BE SENSITIVE TO GOD’S DIRECTION IN GIVING
– Deut. 15:7-8
– Does this church glorify God? Then to what extent does He want me to support it?
– Does it proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ? Then what’s my part in it?
– Does leadership live what they teach? Then how does God want me to follow that example?
Pray for guidance. Begin trusting God and see where He leads you. If you need counsel on financial freedom, seek it out.