THE FILLING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
As the first disciples were filled with the Holy Spirit, they received a divine supernatural power that changed them from fearful men into radiant witnesses for Christ. They were used of God to change the course of history. And that same power, the power of the Holy Spirit is available to you, to enable you to live a holy and fruitful life for Jesus Christ.
WHO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT?
1. What activities or characteristics of the Holy Spirit are mentioned in the following verses?
Acts 13:2 _________________________________________________________________________
1 Cor. 2:12-13 _____________________________________________________________________
1 Cor. 2:10 ________________________________________________________________________
1 Cor. 12:11 _______________________________________________________________________
Eph. 4:30 _________________________________________________________________________
2. Who did Peter believe the Holy Spirit to be?
Acts 5:3-4 _________________________________________________________________________
3. How does Jesus refer to the Holy Spirit?
John 14:16-17 _____________________________________________________________________
4. What does Psalm 139:7-8 teach us about the Holy Spirit? ___________________________________
THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
1. Read John 16:7-15. What can you know from these verses about the work of the Holy Spirit?
2. What does Acts 1:8 teach about the work of the Holy Spirit? _________________________________
3. What role did the Holy Spirit play in Paul’s missionary work?
Acts 13:2, 4 _______________________________________________________________________
Acts 16:6-7 ________________________________________________________________________
1 Cor. 2:4 _________________________________________________________________________
4. From your study, how can you expect the Holy Spirit to work in your life? ______________________
WHO HAS THE HOLY SPIRIT?
1. According to 1 Cor. 12:13, what happens to every Christian? ________________________________
Notice also Eph. 1:13-14 _____________________________________________________________
2. What does Romans 8:9-14 teach about who has the Holy Spirit? ______________________________
3. What does Paul tell the church at Corinth?
1 Cor. 3:16; 6:19-20 _________________________________________________________________
THE FILLING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
1. What is God’s commandment in regards to the Holy Spirit?
Eph. 5:18-21 _______________________________________________________________________
2. What happens in the life of the one who is filled? (vs. 19-21) ________________________________
“There is no such thing as a once-for-all fullness; it is a continuous appropriation of a continuous supply from Jesus Christ Himself; a moment-by-moment faith in a moment-by-moment Savior, for a moment-by-moment cleansing, and moment-by-moment filling.” - Charles Inwood
3. What fruit will the Holy Spirit produce in and through your life?
Gal. 5:22-23 _______________________________________________________________________
4. What are some other results of being filled with the Holy Spirit?
Acts 4:31 _________________________________________________________________________
Acts 11:24 ________________________________________________________________________
Rom. 5:5 __________________________________________________________________________
To be filled with the Holy Spirit means to be directed and empowered by the Holy Spirit. To be filled with the Holy Spirit is to be filled with Christ, to live in dependence upon Him, recognizing that it is Christ who lives in and through us. Paul said, “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me.” (Gal 2:20) The experience of Paul’s life and his desire for every Christian is that we be constantly filled, directed and empowered with the Holy Spirit.
5. What does God promise in 1 John 5:14-15? ______________________________________________
Is it God’s will that you be filled with the Holy Spirit? ______________________________________
Will God fill you with His Holy Spirit if you ask Him? _____________________________________
The Spirit-filled life is an obedient life. Begin each day by asking God to cleanse your life according to 1 John 1:9. Present your body to Him as a living sacrifice (Rom. 12:1-2) and ask Him to keep you filled with His power.