Text: Luke 24:13-35
Topic: “It’s A Matter of The Heart”
A- Tell the Easter Story (Luke 24:1-12).
B- Read the text (Luke 24:13-35).
TS: What Easter means to you is “is a matter of the heart.” There is a three step progression that will make it a day of rejoicing.
I. A BROKEN HEART (V. 13-21).
A. Broken over the things that happen (v. 13-14).
1. Placing your hope in things that don’t happen.
a) Circumstances will leave you broken-hearted. (Eccl. 1:12-14)
(1) Jobs that don’t pan out
(2) Investments that flop
(3) Adversity that comes
(4) Things that don’t fulfill
2. Placing your faith in people that don’t deliver.
a) People will disappoint you.
(1) Leaders that disillusion
(2) Friends that forsake (Mark 14:50; 2 Timothy 4:10).
(3) Family that makes the heart break
B. Broken because of blinded eyes (v.15-16; 2 Corinthians 4:4).
1. Blinded to who Jesus really is.
a) Jesus is God (John 1:1).
2. Blinded to the opportunity of worship.
a) The opportunity of worship is meeting with God (Psalms 95:2).
C. Broken because of a failure to comprehend the truth (v.17-21).
1. The truth of the gospel.
2. The truth of the resurrection.
II. A BURNING HEART (V. 22-32).
A. Burning because of the testimony of others (v. 22-24).
1. Testimony about what they have seen.
2. Testimony about what they have heard and experienced.
B. Burning because of an encounter with the word of God (v. 25-27; John 16:8-10).
1. An encounter with the Word of God always had an effect upon the heart.
C. Burning because of fellowship with the Savior (v. 28-32).
1. When we fellowship with the Savior, it sets our hearts on fire with passion for Him.
III. A BELIEVING HEART (V. 33-35).
A. Belief that leads to action (v.33).
1. Belief causes us to get up and go (Matt. 28:18-20; Acts 8:1-4).
2. Belief causes us to want to be with other believers (1 John 3:14).
B. Belief that leads to affirmation (v.34).
1. Belief causes us to affirm the faith of others.
2. Belief causes us to encourage others to believe (1 Thessalonians 5:11).
C. Belief that leads to attestation (v.35).
1. Attesting to the things that have happened to us.
2. Attesting to how the Lord has revealed himself to us.
How do I know that Christ has risen?
What proof have I to give?
He touched my life one blessed day,
And I began to live.
How do I know he left the tomb
That morning long ago?
I met Him just this morning,
And my heart is still aglow.
How do I know that endless life
He gained for me that day?
His life within is proof enough
How do I know that Christ still lives,
Rich blessings to impart?
He walks with me along the way
And lives within my heart.