Jesus' Candle of Love
“Jesus’ Candle of Love”
John 10:1-21 (1666)
Introduction to video
- Advent video of “Love”
Conversation with friend – not seeing that she was off a little because of conflict
- Wouldn’t missed this with Bren; or kids
“I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber.
Vs 1 – Amen Amen
- Flashing Warning – this is out of love
Vs 2-5 – Jesus explains his love by the Shepherd/Sheep relationship
2 The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. 3 The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5 But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.”
- Explain Shepherd/Sheep
- Relationship was personal
- Naming of milk cows – he loved them
Love language given
- the sheep listen to his voice – Personal – Love
- calls his own sheep by name – Naming was big
- Names declared living creatures nature
- Ancient people thought that by wearing the name of their God they could control their relationship – i.e. Moses asks God
- Shepherd knows sheep – God answers “I Am” (we only need to know that God is)
- leads them out – Shepherd imagery
Nu 27:15-17 - Moses said to the Lord, 16 “May the Lord, the God of the spirits of all mankind, appoint a man over this community 17 to go out and come in before them, one who will lead them out and bring them in, so the Lord’s people will not be like sheep without a shepherd.”
Mk 6:34 - When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching them many things.
Leadership is about going ahead – Love, compassion
- Dealing with conflict for the sheep
- Giving orders in a pyramid fashion
- Whip carrying leader
- Bad leadership – Vs 5 – will not follow
6 Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them.
Figure of speech = parable
- John shows that if you understand - special
7 Therefore Jesus said again, “I tell you the truth, (Amen, Amen) I am the gate for the sheep. 8 All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
Jesus tries with another angle
- Two words jump out at me
- Vs 9 – sozo
- Vs 10 – full
- Healing, full gospel
- Jesus is adding this to my life
11“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13 The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.
Jesus shows the cost of the kingdom (love)
- Love will probably meaning to give up something
- Laying down His life
- Good shepherd goes against culture – listening to the Holy Spirit
14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—
Does my life have shepherd imagery?
- Those in and out the sheep pen
- Heather Brunsting – listen to her and thought of myself
15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.
Knowledge is not the same as knowing
- Knowing involves love which has a cost
- This will be attractive to those in & outside the sheep-fold
The abundance of your love does not increase his.
The lack of your love does not diminish his.
Your goodness does not enhance his love,
Nor does your weakness dilute it.
What Moses said to Israel is what God says to us:
The LORD did not choose you and lavish his love on you because you were larger or greater than other nations, for you were the smallest of all nations! It was simply because the LORD loves you. (Deut. 7:7-8 NLT)