HS 6 Jesus as Priest
HS #6 – “Jesus as Priest”
- Mount of Olives (triumphal entry)
Review – (Understanding the Vision)
- Jesus & the Holy Spirit
- Divine & Human
- Miracles – focus on… divinity
- Jesus did nothing without the Spirit
Jn 16:7 – “But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.”
This leads us to the three offices (important in OT)
Tanner talked about Jesus as King
- Jews were looking for a different king
Look at Jesus, anointed with the Holy Spirit, fulfills the office of Priest
- What do you think of with the word Priest
- Robe, collar
What was the roll of a priest?
- He represented humanity to God – go between
- Offer sacrifices – two types
- Atonement for sins – blood shed
- Thanksgiving – flour mixed with oil (cakes)/wine
How did Jesus fulfill this roll?
Heb 9:11-14 - When Christ came as high priest of the good things that are already here, he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not man-made, that is to say, not a part of this creation. 12 He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, having obtained eternal redemption. 13 The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean. 14 How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!
- Through the eternal Spirit (HS) Jesus is without blemish
- Jesus also makes provision for thanks
- How… Communion Bread & Wine (offering)
Jesus also forgave sins in His ministry
- Lk 7:48 Jesus tells the woman “Your sins are forgiven”
- Simon asks “Who is that forgives sins”
- Holy Spirit anointed High priest
Big correlation between Sin & Sickness in the OT
- Healing was a big part of Jesus priestly ministry
- How… through the power of the HS
- Lk 5:20 – Jesus tells the paralytic “sins are forgiven”
- Then uses this stage to show his priestly office by healing the man too
- Lk 17:14 – Jesus meets 10 men with leprosy
- He sends them to the priest
- With many sicknesses you were declared unclean – go to the priest so you could resume normal life again.
What does this mean for us?
- Heidelberg Catechism – Standard
- Question 31 – “Why is He called ‘Christ’ meaning “anointed”?
- Question 32 – But why are you called a Christian?
Palm Sunday – Jesus is coming riding in as a Living Sacrifice (unblemished lamb)
- What does a living sacrifice mean for you