HS #7 – “Jesus as Prophet”
- Who is a priest
- Who considers themselves as God’s Prophet
- What comes to mind with the word prophet
- Predict the future
“Spirit wants to reproduce the ministry of Jesus in us” Brad Long
- Jesus is glorified by the HS by taking what He did and giving it to us
- Paul described it as the “Spirit of Christ”
Ro 8:9 – You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.
What are the offices?
- Prophet, Priest & King
- Normally these offices were filled by one man, although there were those who held two offices, (Jeremiah, Isaiah, Ezekiel, John the Baptist; all were of the priestly lineage as well as prophets.
Jesus came to absorb all three offices once and for all
John Calvin said this – “Therefore, in order that faith may find a firm basis for salvation in Christ, and thus rest in Him, this principle must be laid down: the office enjoined upon Christ by the Father consists of three parts… Prophet Priest & King”
A Prophet represented God to the people
Jesus work as a Spirit-filled Prophet
- He spoke with power and authority
Lk 4:31 - Then he went down to Capernaum, a town in Galilee, and on the Sabbath began to teach the people. 32 They were amazed at his teaching, because his message had authority.
What is happening here?
- He is Jesus
- He is 100% Human
- Holy Spirit is speaking to their hearts
Jesus interpreted the Law
Mt 5:17 - “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
- I want life to be black & white
- Lk 10:25-37 – Lawyer wants to justify his life
- How do we do this
- Ana is going to share
Jesus saw deeply into people’s hearts
- Lk 7:36-50 – Jesus sees into the woman’s heart as well as Simon the Pharisee
- It’s ironic
- Simon believes he’s nobody
- Jesus speaks right to the woman heart and to Simon at the same time
How does this work?
John Taylor – “The Holy Spirit is that power which opens eyes that are closed, hearts that are unaware and minds that shrink from too much reality. If one is open towards God, one is open also to the beauty of the world, the truth of ideas and the pain of disappointment and deformity. If one is closed up against being hurt, or blind towards one’s fellow men, one is inevitably shut off from God also.”
Elizabeth Browning - Earth is crammed with heaven, Every common bush afire with God Only he who sees takes off his shoes The rest sit and pick black berries
Jesus was the ultimate prophet
Jn 5:19 - Jesus gave them this answer: “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.
- He did this with the… Holy Spirit
- Brad Long – Reproduce Jesus’ ministry in… us
- 1 Co 2:15-16 – Paul talks about having the mind of Christ
- Maturity recognizes “know in part” not fully
- Bren is going to share (prophecy room)
How will you be a prophet this week?