Topical - Glory - God'sGlory
A. The Story of God’s Glory.
The scene is the dedication of this temple that Solomon had built. The fulfillment of his father’s dream. It is a temple that is magnificent beyond our imagination. Glittering with gold, overlaid with gold. Golden vessels, golden doors. Gold with jewels implanted in them. Solomon had built a little platform for this occasion of dedication, in order that he might be elevated a little bit so that he could talk to the thousands of people, who had assembled for this glorious occasion. He stood on this platform, and he addressed the people concerning the faithfulness of God, as they saw the word of God, before their eyes fulfilled in the magnificent temple that was there. For God had promised to David his father, that He would give him a son that would build Him a temple. And, here is the fulfillment of God’s promise.
Then he foresaw certain problems that might exist in the future, if the people should turn their backs on the Lord. Let’s read Solomons prayer in (2Chron.6:38-42).
1. When they saw God’s glory, they realized his goodness (2 Chronicles 7:1-3).
a) I want you to see: His glory leads to our satisfaction.
(1) Very reminiscent of the dedication of the tabernacle in the wilderness, that Moses had made. The tabernacle was called, “the tent of meeting”. It is the place where God’s people come to meet God.
(2) Now, what the tabernacle was to the children of Israel in the wilderness, the temple is to be to the nation of Israel. This is the place that God has chosen, where people would meet Him.
(3) In the new testament, Jesus Christ, is the place of meeting, for He offered Himself as a sacrifice for our sins, once and for all, and by His putting away our sin, He makes fellowship with God, a reality, and a possibility for us, so that we come boldly into the throne of grace, to receive mercy in our time of need, as Jesus has opened the door for you, and for me.
(4) Point: in (v.4) after seeing the glory of the Lord they praised the Lord saying “For He is good, For His mercy endures forever.”
b) The importance of Global Missions.
(1) Realize that the number one issue for God saving us…
(a) Is not to keep us out of hell… although that is a reality
(b) But is to worship God & give Him glory.
Listen to what the Psalmist says "Know that the Lord Himself is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. " (Psalm 100:3)
John writes in Revelation "Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created.”" (Revelation 4:11, NASB95)
Proverbs says "The Lord has made everything for its own purpose, Even the wicked for the day of evil. " (Proverbs 16:4, NASB95)
Isaiah writes "The people whom I formed for Myself Will declare My praise.” (Isaiah 43:21)
And Peter echoes what Isaiah had said, he says "But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light" (1 Peter 2:9)
(2) People in our society as well as in other countries around the world, if they do not know Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior then they are not reaching their full potential as human beings.
(a) The Lord gives our lives direction, purpose and meaning of which many today don’t have.
!! B. The OT Attraction.