Proposition: We must deal with deep rooted demons from our past in order to have a lifestyle that embodies victory.
Introduction: I often wonder just how strong the church could be
- We are weak because we will not give ourselves to God completely
- If we could get on one accord there is no limit to what we could do.
I. Cursed By Our Human Nature
A. David says he is born (original) into iniquity
- The word translated “Brought Forth” literally means to twirl as in the pain of childbirth
- David realizes that he was born with a sinful nature.
B. Paul explains this problem in Romans 7:18-24
- God's Law is Good
- There is a problem with keeping God's Law even though I want to.
- The problem is rooted in my very nature
C. We cannot depend on our own goodness since we are sinners by nature
- We must depend on God's indwelling power to deal with our sins
- We cant just try to do better
- we must admit that we are sinners
II. Cursed By Our Close Relationships
A. David says that he was conceived in sin
- The picture here is the passion that his mother had while he was being conceived
- David was born into a situation that was already sinful
B. Professional athletes sometimes cannot let go of the life they grew up in
C. We need to grow past our past environment
- We must grow past our family situation
- We must grow past our past romantic relationships
- We may have to leave loved ones behind and pray that they “catch up” spiritually
Conclusion: Start by dealing with the demons from within
- David acknowledges that this problems is rooted from deep within him.
- The sinful act is just a symptom.
- David knows that he must start to tackle these issues, and he ask God to give him the wisdom to do so.