Topical - Jesus, Who is He? Who do men say that I am
Who do men say that I am?
Introduction: With that brief question, Jesus confronted His followers with the most important issue they would ever face.
q Jesus spent much time with them and made some bold claims about His identity and authority.
q The time had come for them either to believe or deny His teachings.
Who Do You Say Jesus Is?
q Your response to Jesus Christ will determine not only your values and lifestyle but your eternal destiny as well.
Consider What The Bible Says About Him.
1. Jesus Is God
a) While Jesus Was On Earth, There Was Much Confusion About Who He Was.
1) Wise man or a great prophet… Madman… Others couldn’t decide or did not even care.
2) But, Jesus said, “I and the Father are one” (John 10:30).
3) Jesus claimed to be nothing less than “God in human flesh”
b) Many Today Don’t Understand That Jesus Claimed To Be God.
1) They’re content with Him being a little more that a great moral teacher.
2) However, even His enemies understood His claims to be God – deity.
3) This is why they tried to stone Him to death
(a) Jesus Healed A Man On The Sabbath
1. Jesus said, “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.” The Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God. (John 5:18)
(b) Jesus Did Many Good Works That Bore Witness Of Who He Was
1. Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, "Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of those works do you stone Me?" The Jews answered Him, saying, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God." (John 10:31-33)
a. This is why they crucified Him
b. The Jews answered him, "We have a law, and according to our law He ought to die, because He made Himself the Son of God." (John 19:7 NKJV)
c. If the Biblical claims of Jesus are true, He is God!
2. Jesus Is Holy.
a) God Is Absolutely & Perfectly Holy.
1) Isaiah saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lifted up, and the train of His [robe] filled the temple. Above it stood seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one cried to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy [is] the LORD of hosts; The whole earth [is] full of His glory!" (Isaiah 6:1-3 NKJV)
2) Since God Is Holy He Cannot Commit Or Approve Of Evil—For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone – James 1:13
3) Jesus, Being God, Embodied Every Element Of God’s Character—For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form – Colossians 2:9
4) Jesus Was Perfectly Holy—For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all [points] tempted as [we are, yet] without sin – Hebrews 4:15
5) Even His Enemies Couldn’t Prove Any Accusations Against Him—"Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me? (John 8:46)
6) God Requires Holiness Of Us As Well—"Be holy, for I am holy." – 1 Peter 1:16
3. Jesus Is the Savior.
a) Our Failure To Disobey—to be holy—Places Us In Danger of Eternal Punishment
The Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power (2Thess.1:8-9).
b) The Truth Is, We Cannot Obey Him Because We Have Neither The Desire Nor The Ability To Do So.
1) We are by nature rebellious toward God – Ephesians 2:1-3
2) The Bible calls our rebellion sin.
c) According To Scripture, Everyone Is Guilty Of Sin.
1) [there is] no one who does not sin) – 1 Kings 8:46
2) All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God – Romans 3:23
3) We are incapable of changing our sinful condition – Jeremiah 13:23
(a) This does not mean that we are incapable of performing acts of human kindness.
(b) But, we are utterly incapable of understanding, loving, or pleasing God on our own
1. The Bible says, "There is none righteous, no, not one; There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God. They have all turned aside; They have together become unprofitable; There is none who does good, no, not one” – Romans 3:10-12
2. "Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect. – Matthew 5:48
d) God’s holiness & Justice Demand that All Sin be Punished.
1) “The soul who sins will die” – Ezek. 18:4
2) Some Think Some Sins Are Less That Others—All acts of sin are a result of sinful thinking and desires
3) Changing our behavior or pattern of lifestyle will not solve the sin problem or eliminate its consequences.
(a) We need to change inwardly so our thinking & desires are holy.
(b) Only the Power of God can do this—For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes – Romans 1:16
e) Jesus Is The Only One Who Can Forgive And Transform Us.
1) Only Jesus Can Deliver Us From The Power & Penalty Of Sin—Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." – Acts 4:12
2) God’s Love Provided A Savior, Who Paid The Penalty And Died For Sinners—For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, -- 1 Peter 3:18
3) Christ’s Death Satisfied The Demands Of God’s Justice—This enabled God to forgive and save those who place their faith in Jesus – Romans 3:26; John 3:16
4) Jesus Christ Alone Is Our “Great God & Savior” – Titus 2:13
4. Jesus Is the Only Acceptable Object of Saving Faith.
a) Some People Think It Doesn’t Matter What You Believe As Long As Your Sincere.
1) Your Faith Is Only As Good As The Object In Which It Is Placed—If you take poison, thinking its medicine, all the faith in the world won’t save your life.
2) Similarly, if Jesus is the only source of salvation, & you trust in anyone or anything else for you salvation, your faith is useless.
b) Many People Assume There Are Many Paths To God.
1) Some Think Each Religion Represents And Aspect Of Truth—Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me—John 14:6
1. He did not claim to be one of many equally legitimate paths to God.
2. Or the way to God for His day and time only.
3. HE CLAIMED TO BE THE ONLY WAY TO GOD—THEN & FOREVER!
5. Jesus Is Lord.
a) We Were Created By A Personal God To Love, Serve, And Enjoy Endless Fellowship With Him.
1) Jesus Christ Is The Creator—All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him (John 1:3 cf. Colossians 1:16).
2) Therefore, He Own & Rules Everything—The LORD has established His throne in heaven, And His kingdom rules over all – Psalms 103:19.
b) We Need To Confess His Lordship
1) Romans 10:9-10 Says That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
2) Confessing Jesus As Lord Means Humbly Submitting To His Authority—That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and [that] every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ [is] Lord, to the glory of God the Father – Philippians 2:10-11
3) We Must Believe God Has Raised Jesus Christ From The Dead.
(a) This involves trusting in the historical fact of His resurrection.
(b) The resurrection is the affirmation of the Deity and authority of the Son
"Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere `to repent, "because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead."—Acts 17:30-31
c) True Faith Is Always Accompanied By Repentance From Sin.
1. This is more than being sorry for sin.
2. It is agreeing with God that you are sinful,
3. It is confessing your sins to Him.
4. It is making a conscience choice to turn from sin and pursue holiness—Is. 55:7
5. Jesus said, “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments—John 14:15
d) Belief In Jesus Is More Than Just Believing In Facts—The Bible says Satan & his demons believe in the true God, & they don’t love & obey God, their faith is not genuine
(a) True saving faith responds in obedience – Ephesians 2:10
(b) Obeying Jesus is acknowledging His Lordship and submitting to His authority over your life.
1. Your obedience will not always be perfect, but that is your goal, to please Him
2. And there is no area of your life that you withhold from Him.
6. Jesus Is the Judge.
a) All Who Reject Jesus As Their Lord & Savior Will One-Day Face Him As Judge.
1) "Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, "because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead."—Acts 17:30-31
The Great White Throne Judgment – Revelation 20:11-15
Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is [the Book] of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire—Revelation 20:11-15
HOW WILL YOU RESPOND
A. Who Does The Bible Say Jesus Is?
1. He is the Living God
2. The Holy One,
3. The Savior of the world,
4. The only object of saving faith!
B. Who Do You Say Jesus Is?
1. This is the inescapable question.
2. His love compelled Him to die for your sins.
3. He alone can redeem you & free you from the power and penalty of your sins.
4. He alone can transform you; restore you to fellowship with God, giving your life ETERNAL PURPOSE!
WILL YOU REPENT & BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR LORD AND SAVIOR?