Introduction: If God is smart enough to create people, He is surely smart enough to communicate with us in some way that we can understand. I believe He expects us to understand (even helps us to understand), and he expects us to act on that understanding. This lesson will emphasize the why and how of God’s communication.
I. God has always spoken to his people Hebrews 1:1-2
A.Visions Genesis 15:1
B. Angels Genesis 16
C. Dreams Genesis 28:10-17
D. Urim & Thumim
E. Miraculous signs Exodus 7:14-18
F. Gentle whisper I Kings 19:12
II. His purpose in speaking WHY?
A. Primary purpose: to reveal Himself
1. Remember last week’s lesson about God’s names
2. Exodus 3:13-15
B. To reveal His love
1. Isaiah 43:3-4
2. Jeremiah 31:1-3
C. To reveal His will, purposes, plans, commands
1. John 15:15
2. This revelation is to motivate us to act on our faith
III. His method in speaking
A. Through the Bible
1. II Timothy 3:16-17
2. II Peter 1:20-21
B. Through prayer
1. Acts 12:1-12
2. Daniel 9:20-22
3. Through answered prayer
4. My example of prayer and fasting
C. God is God; we dare not limit His communication abilities.
1. I have often asked God to send me an angel with a message or a vision / dream; but I have never received it.
2. Does the fact that I’ve never received it mean that God can’t do it?
Conclusion: Has God ever spoken to me? Yes, very obviously! Has he spoken to you? Yes, at least in Scripture, because you obeyed what He asked you to do. The real question is not: Does God speak?, but Are we listening?