R. J. Krystowiak
September 22, 2010
The Majestic King
Theme: Praise the king!
1. God as the Creator-King (v. 1-2)
a. Clothed with majesty and strength (v. 1)
Illustration: how do we show strength?
“Clothing in the Old Testament was considered an extension of a person; so the expression robed in majesty (cf. 10 4:1) describes the Lord as majestic and powerful in His reign.”
b. Characterized by eternality (v. 1-2)
While presidents of our country have a four-year term, God’s reign has never ceased
2. God as the Mighty King (v. 3-4)
a. Waves are mighty (v. 3)
Illustration: have you ever been driven into the sand by a wave?
Psalm 106:9 He rebuked the Red Sea, and it became dry, and he led them through the deep as through a desert.
b. God is greater! (v. 4)
“The LORD on high” is another indication....addressing God’s position in heaven
3. God as the Unique King (v. 5)
a. His trustworthy edicts (v. 5a)
b. His holy house (v. 5b)
How many rulers have been known for this?
Conclusion: So how should these truths affect our lives?
1. With creation broadcasting God’s creative work, we never lack a reason to praise God.
2. With creation broadcasting God’s strength, we must never doubt his capability.
3. Since God has always reigned, we must pray humbly.
4. Since God reigns competently, we must pray in good faith, trusting what he will do.
5. Since God reigns in holiness, we must pray in keeping with his standards.
Walvoord, John F. ; Zuck, Roy B. ; Dallas Theological Seminary: The Bible Knowledge Commentary : An Exposition of the Scriptures. Wheaton, IL : Victor Books, 1983-c1985, S. 1:861