The Promise of Pentecost
The Promise of Pentecost!
Intro: Imagine yourself one of the first believers! We want to think they knew and understood everything and were ready but at the beginning they were doubtless hearing things from their families and friends about the crucifixion of this “Jesus” whom they had followed family members were probably asking them “well now what are you going to do?” the members of the Jewish Sanhedrin thought that Jesus was just like any other who had come before and said they were the messiah that now he would be a fading memory but they were wrong!
1 The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, 2 Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen: 3 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God: 4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. 5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? 7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. 8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
1. The disciples were all together, all had reason to be in fear, many of us would be thinking of home, work, money (or the lack of it) but there was something special here.
- At first they weren’t sure what to look for! They had been taught what too see.
6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? 7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.
- Instead of arguing what to look for, they were all in prayer.
12 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day’s journey. 13 And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James. 14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.
15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)
- They were all told about something new! What are you waiting for!?!
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
- They were expecting something from the Father! What do we think of when we come to church? When shall we receive the promise that Jesus gave?
2. They were just told wait!
48 And ye are witnesses of these things. 49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
- Jesus didn’t say what would happen or what to do just wait! He didn’t explain how to wait or what to do, just “tarry”, are you waiting on God?
- The promise of the Holy Spirit wasn’t just for a time long ago! Your time of Pentecost can be when you will hold on for what he has for you!
1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
- These two manifestations came just before the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and weren’t repeated since.
3. Verse 4 this was a magnificent time! It was,
- The fulfillment of prophecy a prophecy still being fulfilled in our lives!
28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: 29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.
- All Christ’s disciples were endued with power from on High!
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
c. Their promise wasn’t just for that day it continued on!
31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.
52 And the disciples were filled with joy, and with the Holy Ghost.