The Names And Nature Of The Holy Spirit
God characteristically reveals Himself by His names and titles. Elohim, Adonai, Jehovah (with their compounds) were names by which He revealed Himself to Israel. Think of the matchless names and titles of the Lord Jesus Christ which abound in Scripture! In keeping with this, God tells us much about His Holy Spirit by the names and titles by which He is addressed. Each one reveals another facet of His character and of the ministry He wishes to perfect in our hearts.
1. THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH (John 14:17)
I should never be deceived.
2. THE SPIRIT OF FAITH (2 Corinthians 4:13)
I should never be discouraged.
3. THE SPIRIT OF GRACE (Hebrews 10:29)
I should never be disgruntled.
4. THE SPIRIT OF HOLINESS (Romans 1:4)
I should never be defiled.
5. THE SPIRIT OF WISDOM (Ephesians 1:17)
I should never be daunted.
6. THE SPIRIT OF POWER (2 Timothy 1:7)
I should never be defeated.
7. THE SPIRIT OF LOVE (2 Timothy 1:7)
I should never be discordant.
8. THE SPIRIT OF A SOUND MIND (2 Timothy 1:7)
I should never be disturbed.
9. THE SPIRIT OF LIFE (Romans 8:2)
I should never be dead.
10. THE SPIRIT OF GLORY (1 Peter 4:14)
I should never be dull.
NOTE: Each of these characteristics is a characteristic of the Lord Jesus. This shows that the Spirit's great work is not to draw attention to Himself but to magnify Christ.