How to avoid discouragement
TEXT: Hebrews 12:3-11
TOPIC: “How to avoid discouragement”
A. Notice the key word in the text “discouraged”.
1. It is the greek word ekluw .
I. CONSIDER THE EXAMPLE OF JESUS (VSS. 3-4)
A. Consider the sufferings of Christ.
B. Compare your suffering to his.
II. LOOK FOR LESSONS IN THE CORRECTION OF THE LORD (VSS. 5-11).
A. Remember the principles of the Lord’s correction (vss. 5-6).
1. His correction is not to be despised.
2. His correction is not aimed at discouraging you.
3. His correction is proof of his love.
4. His correction is only given to God’s children.
B. Recognize the correction of the Lord as confirmation of your relationship with Him (vs. 7).
1. His correction is positive proof that you have a relationship with God.
2. All children are chastened at some time.
C. Release your pride and submit to the Lord (vs. 8-10).
D. Receive the benefits of the Lord’s correction (v.11).