Matthew 4:18-22 (KJV 1900)
18 And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. 19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. 20 And they straightway left their nets, and followed him. 21 And going on from thence, he saw other two brethren, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and he called them. 22 And they immediately left the ship and their father, and followed him.
1. When we all became Christians Jesus also said to us I will make you fishers of men!
a. We all here have been fishing at least once in our lives some of us don’t like it because of the lack of fish we catch
b. So what do we need to be a fisherman? A pole and a line? Or some use nets but what if the pole has no hook, what if there isn’t any bait?
c. Jesus said I will make you fishers of men! What do we use to gather people into the kingdom?
2. Has this church been growing? Has the Sunday School? Maybe it is time cast our net on the other side!
John 21:5 (KJV 1900)
5 Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No.
3. It matters to God if we are bringing in people if souls are being saved!
a. Children are the ones that bring the parents today! We have new missionaries to support – our children’s ministry!
b. They are also the ones quickest to pull parents out of bed. We need a children’s ministry that is interesting. That gives kids something to remember not a place to dread!
c. Ask a child on the street where they go to church they will answer “What’s Church?”
4. If you have no bait on your hook will you catch fish? If there is no hook on the line no, no net will you have any meat?
John 21:6 (KJV 1900)
6 And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.
a. We need to start working to make this church line up to our vision of “Welcome Home” Young people need to feel at home. They need to be interested, happy, and an important part of this church!.
b. Our teachers need the tools to do the job right! I asked our teachers this week one question if you could tell me the most important thing you need tell me. Both said arts/crafts to make the time enjoyable also literature to teach from. The Red River Section of the Assembly of God stepped up for a help on the literature in the beginning we need to step up and do the rest but don’t sit back and expect the Assemblies of God to pay all
c. Lets put our hearts and our finances into our children’s ministry
Matthew 6:21 (KJV 1900)
21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
We don’t need to exptect the Assemblies to buy all the literature we need to work toward keeping the kids taught and coming back!
· I want the kids saying to their parents “YOU WON’T BELIEVE WHAT I DID!!!” when they get home.
· I also want special programs for the kids, VBS, puppet shows, treats from the trunk.
· Adults like having dinners so since this is home let’s have ice cream festivals like we used to!
· Lets see youth groups coming to Abounding Grace Assembly of God
· What will happen here 40 years from now if the kids aren’t a part of our church1?
Mark 10:13-16 (KJV 1900)
13 And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them. 14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. 15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein. 16 And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them.