Last week you heard about the call to become fishers of men. And if you know Jesus as your saviour that is what He is calling you to become “Fishers of Men” another way to describe it is you are sowing seeds of righteousness.
4 And when much people were gathered together, and were come to him out of every city, he spake by a parable: 5 A sower went out to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it. 6 And some fell upon a rock; and as soon as it was sprung up, it withered away, because it lacked moisture. 7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it. 8 And other fell on good ground, and sprang up, and bare fruit an hundredfold. And when he had said these things, he cried, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
A sower (witness) went out to sow his seed (Word of God)
- Sower went out to sow seed. You are that Sower you sow the word of God to the world!
- Some fell by the wayside - - - - - Trodden down depression is a problem rampant in our society! It causes many to fall away, yet we can overcome it!
2 Corinthians 4:8-9KJV
8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; 9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;
- Fowls, birds ate up that seed. If a person allows himself to live in despair he won’t make it!
- Some fell on a rock - - - - - - it sprung up but withered
12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
The “Church on the Rock” is the name of a large church, but I often think of the church on the rocks where Christians who receive God’s word with joy they praise and shout but in a storm they run away!
- withered away because it had no water
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
- Why does it whither away? When we have that water Jesus said we will never thirst again. It is because that water never got to those souls. They never got rid of those rocks.
- Some fell among thorns, - - - - - - thorns sprang up with it and
- They choked it
19 And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.
- This world this life will choke you when you receive Jesus lay down all your burdens and cares. Don’t allow temptation to pull you down! Allow God to give you life!
- Other fell on good ground - - - - - - it sprang up but it kept on living and produced bountifully!
11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
- Why does my seed never seem to make it? I spent most of my life on a farm, and I learned a few things.
- Plow the ground. Till it turn over the soil that is the first step. But only the first! You break the ground with people don’t just shove church into them! “No till” is not the way we need to work with God’s word.
- Harrows then used to break up the soil. We continue to cultivate the soil. Continue to work, talk, and get to know the people you are witnessing to.
- Rub the ground. This helps to even the soil taking stones, rocks, roots out with it.
- Sow the seed. If the first seeds don’t take do it again! Use plenty of good seed the more seed the more the increase!
2 Corinthians 9:6KJV
6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.