Back to the Bible Concerning the Christian Home
By Willie Alvarenga
How many of us would like to see our children in eternal punishment? How many of us would like to see our families destroyed in eternal punishment? Without any doubt, I know for sure that the answer to these questions is an emphatic NO. All of us want the best for our families. All of us want our families to be in heaven some day. Well, if we really care for our home, then, we must strive to go back to the Bible concerning what God says on the Christian home. What do we mean by a “Christian home”? When you analyze the word “Christian”, you learn that a Christian is a person that follows Christ. We find a reference to this word three times in the New Testament (Acts 11:26; 26:28; I Peter 4:16). Therefore, a Christian home is a home that follows Christ, and His will.
Throughout the Bible we have great examples of families who did the will of God. For example, Joshua, a well known man of the Old Testament, once said: “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord” (Joshua 24:15). As a head of the home, he led his family in the right direction. This is the kind of leadership and homes we need today.
Therefore, with this in mind, let us consider a few reasons why you and I need to go back to the Bible concerning the Christian home. Let me share with you the following points:
1. Our present and sad reality concerning some homes.
2. Why we need to go back to the Bible concerning the Christian Home.
3. Ingredients that can help us to have successful homes.
Please consider this lesson carefully, since the destiny of our families depends upon our reaction to the Word of God.
A PRESENT AND SAD REALITY CONCERNING SOME HOMES TODAY
There is no doubt that we are living in difficult times today. All you have to do is watch the news and before you know it, there is information about families in crisis. Most homes have no respect whatsoever concerning the authority of the Scriptures. Most homes today are not following the will of God. I believe that our nation is the way it is right now because there is no respect for the Word of God. What is it that we are seeing today in most of our homes? Notice the following:
1. No respect for the Word of God.
2. Parents who don’t care about their children learning the Word of God.
3. Homes where prayer is not important.
4. Homes where parents are killing their children.
5. Homes where children are killing their parents.
6. Homes where young girls get pregnant at an early age.
7. Homes where immorality prevails.
8. Homes where children have no respect for their parents.
9. Homes where marriages end up in divorce.
10. Homes where husbands and wives are unfaithful one to another
Why is this taking place today? I believe the answer can be summarized in one word “Forsaken”. Yes, most families have forsaken God and His Word. When a family departs from the counsel of God, trouble awaits. So, as we can see, our present reality is a sad one.
The question is: what can we do to avoid having our homes destroyed by our enemy Satan? I believe we need to seriously consider going back to reasons why we need to go back to the Bible concerning our homes. Therefore, let us consider a few reasons why we need to go back to the Bible as a home.
REASONS WHY HOMES NEED TO GO BACK TO THE BIBLE
May I ask you to please consider the following reasons why we need to go back to the Bible concerning our Christian homes? I believe that, if we consider this reasons, and apply them to our daily Christian living, we will be able to make it in this world full of sin.
1. Only the Bible can help us save our homes.
Yes brethren, only the Word of God can help us to save our homes. God’s Word has the power that we need to overcome Satan. Please notice the power that God’s Word has:
1. God’s Word has power to overcome sin (Psalm 119:9, 11). When the Word of God is hid in the heart of every member of the home, then, and only then, we can overcome the attacks of Satan. Therefore, we as a family, must strive to the best of our abilities to study and live the Word of God so that we can be more than conquerors over sin. When the Word of God is present in the lives of our children, then, wise decisions will be made by them. Respect for God will abound in the home.
2. God’s Word has the power to make us wise people (Deuteronomy 4:6; II Timothy 3:15). We need more wise people in this world. People who will take the time to think twice before sinning against God. But, only God’s Word has the power to make us wise. I have seen throughout the years how so many families have made it through because they kept the Word of God close to their hearts. I’ve known families where their sons become gospel preachers. I’ve known families where their daughters marry gospel preachers. I’ve known families where the Bible is at the center of their homes. I’ve known families where success is always at the center of their lives. The question is: Why? The answer is simple: They allowed the Word of God to guide their steps in life (Psalm 119:105). If we want to be wise, we must go to God’s Word, and consider what she teaches about the home.
2. Only God, through His Word, can bless our homes.
Yes my friends, only God can bless our homes. But, if we depart from Him, He will not bless us; but, if we remain close to Him, He will bless us. God’s protection for the home is only promised to those who do His will. Notice the following promises:
1. Psalm 34:19 “Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but from all of them, God will deliver him”
2. II Peter 2: “The Lord knows how to deliver the godly from temptation…”
We must ask God to bless and protect our homes from the evil one. When was the last time you asked God to protect and bless your children? When was the last time you asked God to bless and protect your wife or husband? We must keep in touch with God so that He may bless and protect our homes.
God has promised to help us:
1. Romans 8:31 “If God is for us, who can be against us?”
2. Hebrews 13:5 “I will never leave you nor forsake you”
3. I Corinthians 15:57 “But thanks be unto God who gives us the victory through Christ”
4. Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who gives us the strength”
5. Exodus 14:14 “God will fight for us…”
Let us have confidence in God. He can bless our homes! Let us consider these reasons why we must go back to the Bible concerning the Christian home.
Now, with this in mind, let us consider some ingredients that can help us to save our homes from destruction.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR A SUCCESSFUL CHRISTIAN HOME
The following ingredients must be present in our homes in order to be able to survive. Please consider having them in your home, that is, if they are not present at this time.
1. Love for God, one another and His Word (Mark 12:30; John 13:34-35; Romans 12:9; Philippians 2:1-4; Psalm 119:97).
2. Respect for God and one another.
3. Knowledge of God’s Word in every member of the family (II Peter 3:18; Deuteronomy 6:4-6; Proverbs 22:6).
4. Holiness towards God (I Peter 1:15-16; 2:11; Hebrews 12:14; Matthew 5:8).
5. Hate towards sin and the world (I John 2:15-17; James 4:4; Romans 13:14; Galatians 5:16; Romans 12:9).
6. Communication with God through prayer (I Thessalonians 5:17; Colossians 4:2; Romans 12:22; Matthew 26:41).
7. Desire to be in heaven with God (Philippians 3:20; John 14:1-3).
These are only but a few ingredients that you and I can consider from God’s Word. If these ingredients are present, then, this will be a sign that we are heading in the right direction. May I encourage each present home to abide in the will of God. This is the only way to make it.
May God help us to be in heaven some day! May God help us to consider this information so that our homes may be blessed by Him. Therefore, let us consider going back to the Bible concerning the Christian home.