Back to the Bible Concerning Sound Doctrine
By Willie Alvarenga
Titus 2:1; II Timothy 1:13; I Peter 4:11; II John 9-11; I Timothy 4:1. All of these passages help us to understand that there is such a thing as sound doctrine, and false doctrine. Based on this, we ask the question: Does it matter what one believes so long as he or she is sincere? Does doctrine really matter as long as you are sincere? Most people are answering in the negative saying that doctrines does not matter. Nevertheless, when we consider what the Bible teaches, we realize that doctrines really matters. Why? The reason is simple: what we believe in this life will determine where we will spend eternity.
As we consider the pages of the New Testament, we realize that there is such thing as sound doctrine, and false doctrine. The Bible tells us that there is the doctrine of God, Christ, and the doctrines of men (Matthew 15:7-9; I Corinthians 14:37).
Now, having said this, let us consider the lesson entitled: Back to the Bible concerning the importance of Sound Doctrine. Therefore, it is the purpose of this lesson to discuss the following points:
1. What is sound doctrine
2. Reasons why sound doctrine is important
3. What the church can do to avoid falling into false doctrine
May God help us and give us the wisdom that we need to do His will. May the Lord help us to stay faithful to His teaching found in the Scriptures.
WHAT IS SOUND DOCTRINE?
The Greek Word for sound doctrine is hugiaino didaskalia. The word sound denotes that which has not been corrupted, and is healthy. The word doctrine or teaching refers to the teachings of God in the Bible. Therefore, when we talk about sound doctrine we are talking about that teaching which has not been perverted by the doctrines of men.
A SAD REALITY
Sadly to say, many today have departed from the sound teachings of the New Testament. Many are teaching error in the following ways:
1. Instrumental music during worship assemblies
2. Worship of the church
3. Dedication of Babies
4. Handclapping during singing
5. Women leading worship services (praying, teaching)
6. The Lord’s Supper on Saturday instead of Sunday
7. Fellowship with denominations
8. Baptism not essential to salvation
9. Marriage, divorce and remarriage
These are some of the things that are taking place in many congregations of the Lord’s church. The Bible speaks clearly concerning these perversions that are taking place nowadays.
We, as the Lord’s church, have a great responsibility to remain faithful to the teachings of the New Testament concerning worship and many other aspects of the doctrine of Christ. With this in mind, let us take a look at some of the reasons why sound doctrine is important, and why you and I must remain faithful to God.
SOUND DOCTRINE IS IMPORTANT
The Word of God provides several reasons why sound doctrine is important. May we take God’s Word seriously and consider very carefully these reasons.
SOUND DOCTRINE IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE IT COMES FROM GOD
Yes brethren, sound doctrine comes from God as we see in the pages of the New Testament. The Bible tells us that God’s Word is inspired and therefore, we can surely come to the conclusion that sound doctrine comes from God. The following passages show us the truth about the Bible being the Word of God.
1. II Tim. 3:16-17 Every Scripture is inspired of God.
2. II Peter 1:20-21 Holy men of God spoke being moved by the Holy Spirit.
3. II Cor. 2:13 Words taught by the Spirit.
4. I Cor. 14:37 What Paul wrote were the commandments of God.
5. John 17:17 Thy Word is Truth.
6. Psalms 119:89 forever is Thy Word settled in Heaven.
7. Psalms 119:160 the sum of Thy Word is Truth.
8. Jeremiah 2:1 The Word of the Lord came to me saying.
9. Exodus 5:1 Thus saith the Lord…
Therefore, since it is the case that the Bible came from God, and it is the Word of God, we can come to the conclusion that we do not need any other book that claims to be the Word of God. The Bible of the Jehovah’s Witnesses did not come from God. The book of Mormon did not come from God. Any other book that claims to be inspired must be rejected. We do not need the Bible plus other books that claim to be the Word of God in order for us to understand the will of God. The Bible is sufficient for us, and we do not need any other books of men.
Brethren, it is imperative that we understand this truth from God. We must realize that the Bible is the Word of God. There is no error in the pages of the Bible. Therefore, sound doctrine is important because it comes from God. All teachings that are contrary to the Bible come from men, but not from God.
SOUND DOCTRINE IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE NOT OBEYING IT WILL BRING SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES
Yes brethren, not to obey the doctrine of Christ will bring serious consequences. There are many passages that establish this very truth. But, the question is: what are the serious consequences of not obeying the doctrine of Christ. Notice what the Bible says about this.
1. Not to obey sound doctrine will result in a person not having the Father or the Son (II John 9-11).
2. Not to obey sound doctrine will result in a person worshiping God in vain (Matthew 15:7-9).
3. Not to obey sound doctrine will result in a person being a cursed (Galatians 1:6-9).
4. Not to obey sound doctrine will result in a person being lost in eternity (Matthew 7:21-23).
These are serious consequences that a person must consider before trying to depart from the teachings of the Bible. Brethren, our souls will be in danger if we do not obey the sound doctrine of Christ.
Do we want to experience these terrible consequences? Do we want to be lost in eternal punishment for not obeying the sound doctrine of Christ? If your answer is no to each of these questions, then I urge you to please consider not departing from the teachings of Christ. Let us be faithful to the teachings of the New Testament.
SOUND DOCTRINE IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE IT TEACHES US HOW TO REFUTE ERROR
Only sound doctrine can help us to refute error. False doctrine cannot remain standing because it is not the doctrine of God. Please consider how sound doctrine helps us to refute error:
1. Sound doctrine help us to refute the error of salvation by faith alone (James 2:17-26; Gal 5:6).
2. Sound doctrine help us to refute the error of baptism not being essential to salvation (Mark 16:16; Acts 22:16; I Pet. 3:21).
3. Sound doctrine help us to refute the error that babies are born in sin (Ez. 18:4, 20; Mark 10:14).
4. Sound doctrine help us to refute the error that once you are saved, you are always saved (I Co. 9:27; Rev. 2:10; Ga. 5:4; Js 5:19-20; 2Pt 2:21-22; John 15:2, 6).
5. Sound doctrine help us to refute the error that worldliness is acceptable (I John 2:15-17; He. 11:24-25; Rom. 12:2; 13:14; Ga. 5:16; I Pet. 2:11; II Co. 6:17)
6. Sound doctrine helps us to refute the error that the Bible is not inspired (2 Ti. 3:16; 2 P. 1:20-21).
7. Sound doctrine help us to refute the error that the Bible cannot be understood (Eph. 3:4; 5:17; John 8:32).
8. Sound doctrines helps us to refute the error that Christ is not deity (John 1:1, 14; 8:58; I John 5:20).
9. Sound doctrine helps us to refute the error that the church is not important (Acts 2:47; Colossians 1:18; Ephesians 1:22-23; 5:23; 1:4; Matthew 16:18).
10. Illustration: Crispus was not baptized in Acts 18:8 (Answer I Cor. 1:14) Crispus was baptized!
Therefore, as we can see, sound doctrine can help any Christian refute error. Let us remember that we, as the people of God, must be always ready to give an answer (I Peter 3:15). In order for us to be able to refute error with sound doctrine we must…
1. I Thess. 5:17 Prove all things and hold fast to that which is good.
2. II Tim. 2:15 Study, handling aright the Word of truth (Gr. Orthotomeo from orthos “straight” and temno “to cut” - lit. to cut straight).
3. II Pet. 3:18 Grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ.
4. Psalms 119:97 Love God’s Word.
5. I Pet. 2:2 Desire the pure milk of the Word.
6. James 1:5 Pray for wisdom.
7. Acts 18:24 Be powerful in the Scriptures.
8. James 1:22 Most important, be a doer of the Word!
Therefore, Sound doctrine is important because it help us to refute error. Let us take the study of God’s Word seriously so that we can be ready to refute error at any time.
WHAT CAN THE CHURCH DO IN ORDER TO AVOID FALLING INTO FALSE DOCTRINES?
This is a very important question that each of us need to consider. What are some of the things that we, as members of the body of Christ, can do to avoid perverting the teachings of the New Testament? Let me suggest a few things we can do.
1. Let us have respect for the authority of the Scriptures (Colossians 3:17).
2. Let us conform to the simple teachings of the New Testament on worship, salvation, etc.
3. Let us study the Bible to be able to handle aright the Word of truth (II Timothy 2:15).
4. Let us grow in the knowledge of God’s Word (II Peter 3:18; I Peter 3:15).
5. Let us not be deceived by the teachings of men (Colossians 2:8; I John 4:1).
6. Let us teach on the importance of sound doctrine more often (Titus 2:1).
7. Let us teach on the fundamentals of the faith, so that our people may be strong in the Word of God.
May we, as the body of Christ, consider these principles very carefully; doing this will help us to not go beyond what has been written. Let us remember that only the faithful to the teachings of the New Testament will be in heaven some day. Will you be among the saved ones? I truly hope so!
In this lesson we have considered why sound doctrine is important. May God help us to go back to the Bible, and respect the teachings of God found in the Holy Scriptures. May God keep us away from drifting away from the teachings that lead to salvation. May we remain faithful to the Word of God!