Back to the Bible Concerning How to be Saved from Sin
By Willie Alvarenga
Yes brethren, the world needs to go back to the Bible concerning what a person must do to be saved from sin. The subject of salvation is a very controversial one. Why is this the case, some one may ask? Well, there is so much that is being said concerning what a person must do to be saved from sin. For example, the following error has been taught by many concerning salvation:
Denominations say that in order to be saved, one must…
1. Accept Jesus as your personal savior
2. You must pray Jesus into your heart
3. Faith alone will save you
4. Just confess Jesus as your savior and you will be saved
5. Accept the Lordship of Jesus and you will be saved
6. Touch the radio and pray, and you will be saved
7. Send your contribution and the Lord will give you salvation
8. There is nothing you can do to be saved from sin, Jesus did it all
9. Flip your headlights on and off to show that you are being saved
These are some of the errors that have been taught concerning what a person must do to be saved. The question that we should consider is: What does the Bible teach concerning salvation from sin? With this in mind, let us consider in this lesson several points:
1. The need to go back to the Bible concerning what a person must do to be saved from sin.
2. The Bible’s teaching concerning what a person must do to be saved from sin.
3. The need to obey today, not tomorrow.
Let us learn as much as we can from this lesson. This will help us to be ready to give an answer concerning the subject of salvation.
THE NEED TO GO BACK TO THE BIBLE CONCERNING WHAT A PERSON MUST DO TO BE SAVED
As we have said, there is a great need to go back to the Bible concerning the subject of salvation. There is so much error that is being taught on this. The question is: Why must we go back to the Bible concerning salvation? Let me suggest a few reasons why:
1. There is so much confusion concerning salvation — we already pointed out that there is so much error being taught concerning salvation. People are confused because one preacher teaches something about salvation, and the other teaches something else. People are confused about who is right on the subject of salvation. Many people do not want to obey the gospel because they are confused. Satan knows that if he can get people to be confused about salvation, this will cause them to be lost. Satan knows that Jesus is the door to salvation (John 10:9). Therefore, he has created many doors / plans of salvation to confused people. But, people need to know that God is not the author of confusion, but of peace (I Corinthians 14:33). Man is trying to confused people about salvation; but God says in His Word that you can know the truth, in order to be saved (John 8:32). What people need to do is go back to the Bible and learn what God says about salvation; not what man teaches. Man can compared what God says, with what man is teaching today. You can pick up your Bible and learn about the plan of salvation that God has stipulated in His Word. Later on in this lesson we will consider what God says about salvation.
2. We are commanded to teach what God says; not what man says — we can clearly see this throughout the Scriptures. We are commanded to teach the Word of God, not the doctrines of man. The apostle Peter said: “If any man speaks, let him speak according to the Word of God…” (I Peter 4:11). We are commanded to preach the gospel of Christ (Mark 16:15); we are commanded to preach the Word (II Timothy 4:2); we are commanded to speak what God says (Jonah 3:2; I Kings 22:14). We need to take heed to what God says in His Word. If everyone was to obey this, trust me, everyone will be teaching the truth about salvation. But, since this is not the case, we can clearly see that man has decided to teach his doctrine, but not the doctrine of Christ, concerning salvation. It is imperative that we realize the serious consequences of not teaching the Word of God in truth. Paul said: “Woe is unto me if I preach not the gospel of Christ” (I Corinthians 9:16). Friends, woe is unto all those who are not preaching the correct plan of salvation. Such people will be lost in eternal punishment. People need to know what God says about salvation.
These are two reasons why we need to go back to the Bible and teach people what they must do to be saved from sin. Now let us consider our following point:
THE BIBLE’S TEACHING CONCERNING WHAT A PERSON MUST DO TO BE SAVED
MAN CAN UNDERSTAND GOD’S WILL CONCERNING SALVATION
God has spoken very clearly concerning salvation. As I pointed out, God is not the author of confusion (I Corinthians 14:33). He has told us exactly what a person must do to be saved. On this matter, let me suggest to you that the Bible teaches that we can know the truth concerning salvation. There are some that argue that a person cannot understand or be completely sure about his or her salvation. I’m here to tell you that this is false teaching. Any diligent student of the Word can understand God’s will concerning salvation. I know that there are some things difficult to understand (II Peter 3:18). I know that there are secret things that belong to God (Deuteronomy 29:29). Nevertheless, the subject of salvation can be understood.
For example, Jesus said “You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free” (John 8:32). This passage argues that we can know the truth. The apostle Paul said that God’s Word can be understood (Ephesians 3:4; 5:16-17). Man is able to tell the difference between Satan’s plan of salvation, and God’s plan of salvation. God has given us the ability to understand His Word. With this in mind, let us take a look at the Bible and learn about Jesus, and see how in Him we can find salvation.
JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY TO BE SAVED FROM SIN
The Bible teaches that salvation is found in Jesus. The following passages help us to understand this truth.
1. John 10:9 He is the door to salvation
2. John 14:6 He is the way to salvation
3. Acts 4:12 There is no salvation outside of Christ
4. Romans 8:1 Salvation is only in Christ
5. II Corinthians 5:17 New life is in Christ
6. I John 5:11 Eternal life is in Christ
7. II Timothy 2:10 Salvation in Christ
8. Ephesians 1:7 Redemption is in Christ
9. Hebrews 5:9 Jesus is the author of eternal salvation
10. John 1:29 Jesus is the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world
11. I Peter 1:18-20 We are redeemed by His blood
All of these passages serve the purpose of conveying the truth that salvation is found only in Christ Jesus. Therefore, in order for someone to be saved, he or she must be in Christ. With this in mind, let us consider our following point:
GOD HAS A PLAN TO SAVE MEN FROM HIS SINS
Sadly to say, there are many today that teach error concerning salvation. There are some that argue that a person can be saved in any way he wants to. They argue that salvation is like coming to a church building, in which you can come to the building by driving through any street that you desire, and still get to your destination. I’m here to tell you that this is NOT the case. God only has one plan to save man from his sins. This plan is called “Obedience to the gospel”.
The Bible teaches that the gospel is the power of God unto salvation (Romans 1:16). If anyone wants to be saved, he or she must obey the gospel of Christ. But, the question is: What is the gospel of Christ? Well, according to the Scriptures…
1. The gospel is the message that Jesus sent His disciples to preach (Mark 16:15).
2. The gospel is the power of God unto salvation (Romans 1:16).
3. The gospel consists in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (I Corinthians 15:1-4).
This is the message God has chosen to save man from sin. This is the message that man must obey in order to be in heaven some day.
HOW WERE MEN SAVED FROM SIN IN THE FIRST CENTURY?
This is a good question that can be answer in the pages of the New Testament. You and I can go to the pages of the Bible and learn what those people in the first century did in order that they may be saved. So, as we study the New Testament, especially the book of Acts, which is known as the book of conversions, we can clearly see what men did in order to be saved.
According to the Book of Acts:
1. The gospel was preached by the apostles and the early Christians (Acts 2:22-25, 32, 36-41)
2. Man heard the gospel of Christ (Acts 2:37)
3. Man believed in the gospel (Acts 2:37; 8:12; 18:8)
4. Man repented from his sins (Acts 2:38; 3:19; 17:30)
5. Man confessed Christ as the Son of God (Acts 8:37; Romans 10:9-10)
6. Man was baptized for the forgiveness of his sins (Acts 2:38; 22:16)
There was not a single person that was instructed to pray the sinner’s prayer in order that they may be saved. Every one of them was instructed to obey the gospel of Christ. They did so by hearing, believing, repenting, confessing and being baptized into Christ. This is exactly what the whole world needs to teach concerning the plan of salvation.
THERE ARE BLESSINGS WHEN YOU OBEY THE GOSPEL!
Yes my friends, there are many blessings when you obey the gospel of Christ. The Bible teaches that all spiritual blessings are in Christ (Ephesians 1:3). This is the reason why people need to obey the gospel of Christ. When you are baptized for the remission of sins, you are also baptized in order to be in Christ (Galatians 3:27; Romans 6:4). Everyone who obeyed the gospel in the book of Acts was added to the church, which is the body of Christ (Acts 2:47; Ephesians 1:22-23; 5:23; Colossians 1:18). With this in mind, let me show you a few of those blessings:
1. Forgiveness of sins (Acts 2:38; 22:16; Ephesians 1:7; Colossians 1:14)
2. Reconciliation (Ephesians 2:13-16)
3. A place where there is no condemnation (Romans 8:1)
4. A new life (II Corinthians 5:17; Romans 6:4)
5. Hope of eternal life in heaven (Titus 1:2; I John 5:11; John 14:1-3)
6. A privilege to be part of the family of God (Ephesians 2:19)
These are only but a few blessings that we enjoy in Christ Jesus when we obey the gospel. Each of these blessings can be yours if you only give your life to Christ, in obedience to the gospel. Having said this, now let us encourage you to obey the gospel today, and not tomorrow, for tomorrow may not come.
YOU MUST OBEY TODAY!
The Bible teaches that obedience to the gospel, the power of God unto salvation, must be done today and not tomorrow. There are passages in the Bible that show man the need to obey today. For example, the apostle Paul said: “Today is the day of salvation” (II Corinthians 6:1-2). The Hebrews writer said: “Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts” (Hebrews 3:7; 4:7).
WHY MUST YOU OBEY THE GOSPEL TODAY?
The Bible gives us the answer to this question. Notice the following information which helps us to understand why we must obey today, and not tomorrow:
1. You may depart from this life any moment (James 4:14; Job 14:1-2; I Samuel 20:3; II Samuel 14:14). This may be your last day upon this earth. Are you ready to depart? What if you died tonight? Will you enter heaven some day? These are questions that you must ask yourself each day. Many people made plans yesterday, but are no longer alive today. We must be ready at all times, for our departure may be at any moment.
2. Jesus may come again any moment (Matthew 24:36, 44; I Thessalonians 5:1-2). The Bible teaches that Christ may come at any moment. When He comes, everything will be over. All opportunities to obey the gospel will be over. Please, do not wait until this happens, and then you realized that it is too late. Obey the gospel of Christ today, before it is eternally too late.
These are two strong reasons why people need to obey the gospel today. May God help you to consider these reasons, before it is eternally too late.
In this lesson we have considered the reasons why we must go back to the Bible concerning salvation. May God help us to make the proper preparations to be ready to meet the Lord some day. Let us go back to the Bible, and teach this information to a lost and dying world. Let us be committed to the teachings of the New Testament concerning salvation. Let us help people not be confused about the subject of salvation, and let us all teach the same thing.