Drop files to upload.
Faithlife Corporation


Illustration  •  Submitted
0 ratings
· 1 view
Notes & Transcripts

Do you have Paraskevidekatriaphobia? If you do, 2012 is a bad year for you. Paraskevidekatriaphobia is the fear of Friday the 13th. In most years, two Fridays fall on the 13th. In 2012 and again in 2015 there will be three.

Tom Fernsler is a University of Delaware math professor who has studied Friday the 13th through history to discover if it is really an unlucky day. Fernsler says that 95% of the world’s people are superstitious about something, and the other 5% are liars.

--USA Today, January 13, 2012, p. A1 Illustration by Jim L. Wilson and Rodger Russell

What are you superstitious about?

Acts 19:23-27 (GW) During that time a serious disturbance concerning the way {of Christ} broke out in the city of Ephesus. (24) Demetrius, a silversmith, was in the business of making silver models of the temple of Artemis. His business brought a huge profit for the men who worked for him. (25) He called a meeting of his workers and others who did similar work. Demetrius said, “Men, you know that we're earning a good income from this business, (26) and you see and hear what this man Paul has done. He has won over a large crowd that follows him not only in Ephesus but also throughout the province of Asia. He tells people that gods made by humans are not gods. (27) There's a danger that people will discredit our line of work, and there's a danger that people will think that the temple of the great goddess Artemis is nothing. Then she whom all Asia and the rest of the world worship will be robbed of her glory.”

The Ephesians in Acts 19 were superstitious about their little images of Artemis. They were worried that the message preached by Paul would ruin the market for the little idols. They were correct of course. When one believes in the gospel of Jesus Christ, they understand that the God of Love is in control, not the luck of the draw.

See the rest →
Get this media plus thousands more when you start a free trial.
Get started for FREE
See the rest →