ADORING THE LOVELINESS OF JESUS
March 20, 2012
By: John Barnett
Read, print, or listen to this resource on our website www.DiscoverTheBook.org
Open to Rev. 4.:
• Step with me into the worship center of the universe.
• Let us gaze at the One who is seated on the Eternal Throne.
• As we watch, exalt God in your spirit as the endless praise is ascending around His Throne.
• Let us be still and know who it is before whom we stand.
• And then Adore the LOVELINESS OF JESUS as He is at the center and focus of my worship.
To worship Him Who is worthy of all worship and praise is our duty and purpose of existence. The Father seeks only one thing, and that is that we might worship Him. To truly worship Him is to ascribe to Him that honor, praise, glory, and majesty that He is worthy of – a true “worthship.” This day, join me as we stand in the vestibule and peer through the door into the chambers of the Most High.
Through the eyes of that faithful and true disciple of love who alone remained, heir of the apostolic band-and with his pen, tried to capture that which when Paul saw it, said it was inexpressible.
• Let us listen to the choirs of angels in numberless circles about the glassy sea and its throne as they say His worthy praise.
• Let us listen to those eternal creatures chant “Holy, holy…holy,” and by faith’s eye let us see with John that band which no man could number and listen to their songs of adoration and praise. Do you know Him, Christ the Lord, Who merits such praise.
• Let us see Him now—worthy is the Lamb that was slain, to be praised this day by us who owe Him our all!
ADORING THE LOVELINESS OF JESUS FILLS THE ENTIRE 4TH CHAPTER
The Awesome Sovereign on the Throne (v. 1-3, 5)
The Awesome Scene around the Throne (v. 4, 6-7)
The Awesome Song before the Throne (v. 8-11)
THE AWESOME SOVEREIGN ON THE THRONE
(v. 1-3, 5)
v. 1 After these things I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven. And the first voice which I heard was like a trumpet speaking with me, saying, “Come up here, and I will show you things which must take place after this.”
WORSHIPING THE LOVELINESS OF JESUS
IS AT GOD'S INVITATION.
v. 2 Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a THRONE set in heaven, and One sat on THE THRONE.
WORSHIP MUST ACKNOWLEDGE
GOD IS IN CHARGE.
• The THRONE is 46 times noted in Revelation; 14 of these times is in Chapter 4.
• The Throne and all the authority and power of God are very much evident throughout this special chapter.
v. 3 And He who sat there was like a jasper and a sardius stone in appearance; and there was a rainbow around THE THRONE, in appearance like an emerald.
WORSHIPING GOD IS UTTERLY BEAUTIFUL
• Like Saturn the Throne of God is ringed.
• Vertically like a 360 degree arch, a rainbow surrounds God's Throne.
• Horizontally like a vast plain the saints are gathered at the foot of God's Throne.
v. 5 And from THE THRONE proceeded lightnings, thunderings, and voices. Seven lamps of fire were burning before THE THRONE, which are the seven Spirits of God.
WORSHIP FLOWS WHEN WE HEED THE HOLINESS OF GOD
• Ezekiel saw what Moses saw at Mount Sinai, when God came down to give the law, thunder and lightning accompanied Him (Ex. 19:16).
• The seven lamps connote completeness and symbolize the Holy Spirit of God (Rev. 1:4; note also Ezek. 1:13).
• The writers of Scripture, seeking to describe the indescribable, portray the presence of God as an unbelievable display of power filled with thunder and lightning, blinding light, and a sparkling, dazzling array of colors and rainbows.
THE AWESOME SCENE AROUND THE THRONE
(v. 4, 6-7)
v. 4 Around THE THRONE were twenty-four thrones, and on the thrones I saw twenty-four elders sitting, clothed in white robes; and they had crowns of gold on their heads.
WORSHIP UNITES THE REDEEMED OF ALL THE AGES MEETING AT THE FEET OF JESUS.
• The number 24 suggests many Biblical ideas.
• There were 24 courses of priests in the service of the Tabernacle and temple (I Chr. 24:3-5).
• There are also two groups of 12 that represent God's saints: the 12 Tribes of Israel and the 12 Apostles of Christ's Church.
v. 6 Before THE THRONE there was a sea of glass, like crystal. And in the midst of THE THRONE, and around THE THRONE, were four living creatures full of eyes in front and in back.
WORSHIP IS UNCEASINGLY OFFERED IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD.
v. 7 The first living creature was like a lion, the second living creature like a calf, the third living creature had a face like a man, and the fourth living creature was like a flying eagle.
*WORSHIP IS TO REFLECT GOD'S ATTRIBUTES: JESUS KINGSHIP, SERVANTHOOD,
HUMANITY AND DEITY.*
THE AWESOME SONG BEFORE THE THRONE
v. 8 The four living creatures, each having six wings, were full of eyes around and within. And they do not rest day or night, saying:
“Holy, holy, holy,
Lord God Almighty,
Who was and is and is to come!”
WORSHIP FOCUSES SOLELY UPON GOD.
• Almighty is used 9 times in revelation; 31 times in Job. The only other time in New Testament is II Cor. 6:18.
v. 9 Whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to Him who sits on THE THRONE, who lives forever and ever,
WORSHIP HONORS AND GLORIFIES GOD.
v. 10 the twenty-four elders fall down before Him who sits on THE THRONE and worship Him who lives forever and ever, and cast their crowns before THE THRONE, saying:
WORSHIP DEMANDS OUR TOTAL SUBMISSION TO GOD.
v. 11 “You are worthy, O Lord,
To receive glory and honor and power;
For You created all things,
And by Your will they exist and were created.”
WORSHIP IS OUR PURPOSE IN BEING.
ADORING THE LOVELINESS OF JESUS FILLS THE ENTIRE BOOK OF REVELATION
• Let us look in chronological order at chapters 4-22 and see Christ, the Lamb in exaltation, both that of the faithful angelic hosts and that of the redeemed saints.
Hold on now! There are 11 songs that make up the background music to the story. They are songs of worship and triumph.. We DISCOVER WORSHIP AS THE BACKGROUND MUSIC OF GOD’S KINGDOM.
• So that is where we have arrived. By way of the snatching away, we join the redeemed of all the agea around the Throne. The atmosphere is celestial! What do I mean?
In Revelation 4 the focus is on God as the Creator, and He is on the Throne. Salvation starts with the ackowledgment of God as Creator. Acts 14:15 and saying, “Men, why are you doing these things? We also are men with the same nature as you, and preach to you that you should turn from these useless things to the living God, who made the heaven, the earth, the sea, and all things that are in them,
• Acts 17:24 “God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands.
• Colossians 1:16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.
• In chapter 5 the focus is on Jesus the Redeemer, and God's Son is before the Throne. In 5:13 the worship goes to Father and Son which affirms Christ's deity.
I. WORTHY OF WORSHIP IS JESUS THE ETERNAL CREATOR (Chapter 4) 2 Corinthians 4:6 For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
A. all The angelic hosts worship him (V.8) – “HOLY, HOLY, HOLY IS THE LORD GOD, THE ALMIGHTY, WHO IS WHO WAS AND WHO IS TO COME” = ETERNITY.
B. THE 24 ELDERS WORSHIP HIM (v.11) – “Worthy art thou our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power, for thou didst create all things, and because of thy will they existed and were created.” = Creator see Ezk 36:26 and II Cor 4.6.
II. WORTHY OF WORSHIP IS JESUS THE REDEEMING SAVIOR (Chapter 5) Titus 2:14 who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works.
A. The 24 elders worship him. V. 9-10 – “WORTHY ART THOU TO TAKE THE BOOK, FOR THOU WAS SLAIN AND DOST PURCHASE FOR GOD, WITH THY BLOOD, MEN FROM EVERY TRIBE AND TONGUE AND PEOPLE AND NATION. AND THOU HAST MADE THEM TO BE A KINGDOM AND PRIESTS TO OUR GOD…” = REDEEMER FROM THE SLAVE AMRKET OF SIN.
B. THE INNUMERABLE ANGELIC HOSTS AND ALL CREATION WORSHIP HIM (vv. 12-14) – “Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing…forever and ever.” = Savior
III. WORTHY OF WORSHIP IS JESUS GIVING LIFE (Chapter 7) (John 14:6 and Acts 5:20)
A. The innumerable multitude cries out in worship. “SALVATION TO OUR GOD WHO SITS ON THE THRONE”
• THIS IS SALVATION FROM DEATH’S POWER.
• ETERNAL LIFE LIBERATES US TO SEE WE ARE ONLY TEMPORARILY IN THIS BODY!
B. All the angels and creatures fall and say (v.12), “Amen, blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honor and power and might be to our God forever and ever.”
• He is worthy of all praise. Everyone has a god and they look more like who or whatever it is every day.
IV. WORTHY OF WORSHIP IS JESUS THE CONQUERING WARRIOR (Chapter 11) 2 Corinthians 2:14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.
A. A VOICE FROM HEAVEN (V.15) – “THE KINGDOM OF THE WORLD HAS BECOME THE KINGDOM OF OUR LORD AND OF HIS CHRIST, AND HE SHALL REIGN FOREVER AND EVER” –
• JESUS IS CONQUEROR OF ALL KINGDOMS.
B. The 24 elders (vv. 16-17) – “We give thanks, O Lord God, the almighty, who art and who wast, because thou hast taken thy great power and hast begun to reign”
• Jesus is reigning over all.
V. WORTHY OF WORSHIP IS JESUS CRUSHING SATAN (Chapters 12-19). 1 John 3:8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil..
1. The voice from Heaven (12:10-12) – “Now the salvation and power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren has been thrown down…and they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb”
• Satan is defeated.
2. The victorious tribulation warriors (15:3-4) – “Great and marvelous are thy works O lord God, the almighty; righteous and true are thy ways, thou king of the nations”
• His saints sing songs of victory.
The angels of the altar, waters, and the earth all say (16:5-7; 17:14), “Righteous art thou who art and wast, O holy one, because thou didst judge these things…they deserve it…and the Lamb will overcome him because He is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those who are with him are called and chosen and faithful”
Creation echoes the majesty of His worthy judgment and sacrifice.
3. The multitude of the redeemed and the 24 elders (19:1-5) – “Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God, because his judgments are true and righteous. And they fell down and worshipped.”
• They fall before their just Judge, to Whom they submit.
4. THE MULTITUDE IN UNISON CRY OUT TO THE LORD IN EXULTATION (19:6-7) - “HALLELUJAH, FOR THE LORD OUR GOD, THE ALMIGHTY REIGNS; FOR THE MARRIAGE OF THE LAMB HAS COME”
• THIS IS THE SHOUT OF ANTICIPATION FOR UNBROKEN UNION WITH THE KING OF THE UNIVERSE.
VI. WORTHY OF WORSHIP IS JESUS COMING AS THE BRIDEGROOM, OUR EMMANUEL (Chapters 21-22).
A. The voice from the throne (21:3-4) – “Behold the tabernacle of God is among men, and he shall dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God himself shall be among them.”
• All praise for Emmanuel
• God is now with us as He promised (Matthew 1:22).
B. The Voice of Jesus calling all who are thirsty to come to Him. (22:16-17) “I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.”17 And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.
So we see Him as a multi-faceted diamond in eternal cascading glory as each one of these divine descriptions echoes through the celestial realm.
• Our Eternal Creator,
• Our Redeeming Savior,
• Our Giver of life,
• Our conquering Warrior,
• Our Crusher of Satan,
• Our just Judge and
• OurBridegroom Emmanuel.
We lift to thee our praise and honor, glory and worship, that thou mightest count us by the blood of thy Son to walk worthy of an invitation to worship thee soon with that multitude -–for truly,
thou art worthy,
O Lamb of God!