THE GLORY OF JESUS “MEET THE RISEN CHRIST” THE GLORY OF JESUS
March 20, 2012
By: John Barnett
Read, print, or listed to this resource on our website www.DiscoverTheBook.org
The heart of the Gospel is the Risen Christ. The key to Revelation is the Unveiled Jesus. Meet in Revelation 1:9-18 the gloriously unveiled Risen Jesus in all His glory. Buit first let’s start with the Tomb.
THE TOMB - IS EMPTY
This morning I checked on a few remote cemetaries and did some investigating. Here is the verified record of what I found: Confucius’ tomb- occupied. Buddha’s tomb – occupied. Mohammed’s tomb – occupied. Joseph Smith’s tomb – occupied. Mary Baker Eddy’s tomb – occupied. Jesus’ tomb – EMPTY!
THE RESURRECTION RECORD IS CLEAR
John 20 records Resurrection morn. John and the apostles were startled and ran to confirm the report of the women that the tomb was empty. Remember the events?
1. Mary Magdalene Mark 16:9-11; John 20:10-1 8
2. The other women at the tomb Matthew 28:8-10
3. Peter in Jerusalem Luke 24:34; 1 Corinthians 15:5
4. The two travelers on the road Mark 16:12, 13
5. Ten disciples behind closed doors Mark 16:14; Luke 24:36-43; John 20:l9-25
6. All the disciples, with Thomas (excluding Judas Iscariot) . John 20:26-31; 1 Corinthians 15:5
7. Seven disciples while fishing John 21:1-14
8. Eleven disciples on the mountain Matthew 28:16-20
9. A crowd of 500 I Corinthians 15:6
10. Jesus' brother James 1 Corinthians 15:7
11. Those who watched Jesus ascend into heaven Luke 24:44-49; Acts 1:3-8
But now over 60 years have passed. Many memories of Christ's ministry were vivid in John’s heart but he hadn’t seen Him for so long. And then it happened –
JOHN SEES JESUS AGAIN
Revelation 1:12 Then I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and in the midst of the seven lampstands [One] like the Son of Man,
This is only the beginning of an amazing journey John takes. As he records what he saw:
“I saw” 39 times 1:12-22:8 , like watching slides that are describing what he saw
“I looked” 11 times (4:1; 5:11; 6:2,5,8,12; 7:9; 8:13; 14:1; 14:14; 15:5)
“I heard” 21 times (1:10; 5:11-13; 6:1,3,5,6; 7:4; 8:13; 9:16; 10:4,8; 12:10; 4:2, 13; 16:1,5,7; 18:4; 19:1,6)
JOHN SEES JESUS ALL THE WAY THROUGH THIS BOOK
The theme of this book captures what each of our hearts in whom Christ dwells longs for most, to see Jesus, and to see Him in all His beauty. The first 3 words of this book gives us its purpose: Revelation of Jesus - unveiling, revealing, disclosing of Jesus. Thus in no other place on Earth can you see more of Jesus than in this final Book of the Book of Books. Have you seen Him in all His beauty?
• Rev. 1:18 = HE IS THE LIVING ONE HOLDING THE KEYS to death and hell Revelation 1:18 "I [am] He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death. (NKJV)
• Rev. 3: 18 = HE IS THE LORD OF THE CHURCH Revelation 3:18 "I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, [that] the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. (NKJV)
• Rev. 5:5 = HE IS THE LION OVER THE NATIONS as He restores His Kingdom Revelation 5:5 But one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep. Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the scroll and to loose its seven seals." (NKJV)
• Chapter. 21-22= HE IS LAMB AMONG THE REDEEMED as He invites His own to join Him forever Revelation 21:14, 22-23 Now the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. But I saw no temple in it, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb [is] its light. (NKJV)
First - JOHN SEES JESUS REVEALING HIS ETERNAL CHARACTER AS THE RISEN CHRIST
In these verses, let’s be blessed with some beloved truths: v. 10b-11 JESUS IS THE ULTIMATE AUTHORITY. He spoke to the dead and they rose to life. He spoke to the raging waves and they fell to silence. He spoke to bread and fish and they multiplied to feed thousands. He spoke to a fig tree and it withered away to nothing.He spoke to lowly sinners and they found new beginnings.He spoke to haughty hypocrites and they hardened their hearts to the end.He spoke as never man spoke –to death and disease, to seekers and finders, to skeptics and scoffers. He spoke the universe into motion. He shall speak the closing word on mankind. Be aware as never before, when Jesus speaks, it is with authority and tonight, in this Book…He speaks to you! The second truth of our incomparable Christ…
JOHN SEES JESUS AS HE WALKS AROUND HERE IN HIS CHURCH TODAY!
Imagine hearing a voice like a trumpet and seeing these NINE PERFECTIONS OF HIS DIVINITY:
1. THE PERFECT MAN
2. THE PERFECT SACRIFICE
3. THE PERFECT JUDGE
4. THE PERFECT IMAGE OF GOD
5. THE PERFECT TRUTH
6. THE PERFECT DEFENDER
7. THE PERFECT COMMUNICATOR
8. THE PERFECT REVEALER
9. THE PERFECT SUPPLY
JOHN SHOWS US HOW WE SHOULD RESPOND WHEN WE SEE THE RISEN CHRIST
And what happened when John saw the Risen and glorified Christ of God ? He became in v. 17 what? As a dead man. Then that familiar hand he had known and loved so well reached out to him. And Jesus touched John. Would you join me in adoringly worshiping the Risen Christ? I am going to read the 11 verses of our text and pause between each one. As I pause Royce is going to lead all of us singing over and over “O Come let us adore Him ” What we will do is follow John’s example and fall on our faces in our heart. With all our eyes closed you may respond to our Risen Lord in any way you deem reverent and worshipful. One man told me if no one would have been offended, he would have slipped to the aisle and knelt before the Lord. Maybe you are less expressive, maybe more. If you wish to lift your hands, kneel, whisper His praise, feel free. We are all standing in His presence.