Defining the Gospel
Defining the Gospel
I. The Gospel is a Promise Resting in the Lord Jesus v.2-4
A.That God would Enclose His Deity in Humanity v.3
1. Christ is the Plan of Redemption
a. The incarnation of Christ
b. The very fact that Deity reached down to Depravity
c. Christ had to become a man in order to save man
Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
Heb 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
d. Man had broken the law and a man had to pay the penalty of sin
2. Christ is the Person of Royalty
a. He is The Eternal King v.3
1. Christ never ceased to be who He was. When Isaiah saw the Lord setting on a throne, he saw Christ.
2. The promise of the Messiah would be through David’s line
3. Many rejected it, but some embraced it and knew He was the One.
b. He will have an Eternal Kingdom
1. One day Christ will rightfully sit on the throne of David where every knee will bow
Act 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
2. That is the significance of His lineage. He is the prophetic fulfillment
3. One day we will enjoy living in the presence of the King
B.That God would Establish His Deity to Humanity v.4
1. The Power of the Resurrection
a. Only God had the power over life and death
Joh 10:18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.
b. Through the resurrection Jesus removed all doubt that He was in fact the Son of God.
2. Only God could pay the penalty of sins and only God could pardon sinners
3. Ex. Mark 2 (paralytic man, son thy sins are forgiven you)
II. The Gospel is a Provision Resulting from the Lord Jesus v.5
A. We Have been Given Mercy v.5
1. Christ Redeeming Power
a. Christ has paid the penalty of our sins
b. God is now able to give us grace because His righteous demands have been met.
c. Grace is God’s unmerited favor and God’s loving mercy that He pours out on a sinner that places their faith in the Lord Jesus.
d. No one is saved by baptisms, conformation, good works, church membership, taking communion, church positions, or any other religious act. It does not come in believing in God. Salvation is only attained by Grace Through Faith. Eph.2:8-9
B.We Have been Given a Mission v.5
1. Every Conversion receives a Commission
2. We are to take the Gospel to everyone, everywhere.
3. Our Purpose is to bring people to obedience to the faith
4. All are included in this in this mission. No matter what you think your limitations are, God has commissioned you to share the gospel.
After one of D. L. Moody’s sermons, a highly educated man came to him and said, “Excuse me, but you made eleven mistakes in your grammar tonight.” In a gracious rebuke Moody replied, “I probably did. My early education was very faulty. But I am using all the grammar that I know in the Master’s service; How about you?” On another occasion a man came up to Mr. Moody and said, “I don’t like your invitation. I don’t think it’s the right way to do it.” “I appreciate that,” Moody responded. “I’ve always been uncomfortable with it, too. I wish I knew a better way. What is your method of inviting people to Christ?” “I don’t have one,” the man replied. “Then I like mine better,” the evangelist said. Whatever our limitations may be, when God calls us by His grace, He also calls us to His service.
III. The Gospel is a Personal Relationship with the Lord Jesus
A.They were a People who had been Converted
1. Each individual person had an Encounter with Christ
a. Christ had called them individually
b. They had responded individually
c. Nobody was saved through affiliation
d. The Gospel is something you must make personal with you
B.They were a People who had been Changed
1. God has called us to or set us apart to holiness
2. We now have His Divine Nature
3. We have not been taken out of the world but set apart from the world.
4. It is God’s design that we live different from the rest of the world. God said, “Be holy, for I AM holy”
5. Those that have made the gospel personal, now has personal a relationship with God. You are His beloved, (object of His affection) and you will spend your life and eternity experiencing His grace and peace.