To Infinity and Beyond
To Infinity and Beyond; NV 8/5/01AM
OS: A Gas cap – Perfect fit! Then I noticed the keyhole in the cap. Isn’t that just the way it goes?
I. Sometimes just getting through the day is an accomplishment.
A. Ever noticed how kids get up early with a sparkle in their eye. They have a thrill with living and every moment is expectation.
B. Many chose to be mediocre people and live mediocre lives because that is so much easier.
1. If I face the day with few expectations there are fewer disappointments.
2. Expectations are more exciting, but disappointments hurt, and I’d just rather play it safe.
C. I like Buzz Lightyear – “To Infinity and Beyond” Toy Story
D. Is that the kind of life that God wants His people to live?
II. It all boils down to an attitude of living with possibility or impossibility.
A. I did a search of scripture to see what God had to say about these two ideas.
B. B Impossibility – 0
C. C Impossible
1. * Genesis 116 The LORD said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.
2. *Matthew 1720 He replied, “Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
3. *Luke 137 For nothing is impossible with God.”
4. *Luke 1827 Jesus replied, “What is impossible with men is possible with God.”
D. D Possible
1. *Mark 923 ”‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for him who believes.”
E. E God is Able
1. *Romans 1123 And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.
2. *2 Corinthians 98 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
F. Conclusion: God wants His people to live lives of hope, and great anticipation of great blessings from Him.
1. G John 10:10 …I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
III. How do we have a, to infinity and beyond, life?
A. H Pills – Take one a day and you will experience more energy; you will feel better, sleep better, and go about every moment with a smile.
B. * The connection is prayer!
C. Let’s take a look at a passage in Mark 9 where nothing would work but prayer and faith. (I, J, K 14-29)
1. L It’s a text of hope and faith
I. This father doesn’t give up when the disciples fail to help, but brings his child directly to Jesus.
A. How many parents do we have here this morning who are worried about the souls of their children?
B. Sometimes prayer is the only, and best work you can do for your child.
II. M Sometimes even Jesus’ disciples overlooked the obvious.
A. Picture the scene Jesus approaches.
1. Religious people arguing.
2. A Father with a sick child.
3. A crowd of people (outsiders) watching the whole scene.
4. All of this going on and only one thing was needed.
5. Jesus characterizes it all with the word, “unbelieving”.
B. We have a tendency to be worried about many things, but forget about the main thing.
1. Like these early disciples of Jesus we get side tracked and spend needless time and energy on trivial matters that have nothing to do with the salvation of souls, or the healing of hurts.
2. *Titus 39 But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless.
3. Whatever is allowed to take us from the Lord’s work better be worth more than the souls of men.
C. Illustrate with ball teams.
1. When there are problems in the club house there are problems on the win/loss column.
2. Atlanta Braves and Rocker – They went on a winning streak when he was removed.
III. N Unbelief and the absence of prayer produce an absence of focus. (power, healing, ministry, etc.)
A. *Hebrews 116 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
B. Before we will be focused on ministering to people we must believe that Jesus can and will heal their problems.
C. Before we will be focused on leading others to Christ we must believe there are lost people in the world that only Jesus can save.
D. Until we are praying, believing, and working for the salvation of the souls of men and women we are not the church! We can worship week after week just like the bible says, but if we are not praying, believing, and working for the salvation of people we are not the church!
IV. O Jesus is in charge and He can handle it.
A. Whatever you face in life start with prayer because God is able. Nothing is impossible for God.
B. Dream big dreams for your day, your life, and let us dream big dreams for this church.
C. Let us not forget the primary, and let us not forget to pray.
Maybe you fell to disappointments and determined to live a mediocre life…why not begin today to live a life of possibility through prayer and communion with God?